Thread: Flat Finish for Back of Cabinet Door

Flat Finish for Back of Cabinet Door

I am replacing the center panel of a frame and panel kitchen door. The old panel is dull and looks like there is no finish on it. I am using an oil based stain on the panel. I was thinking of using a satin polyurethane on it, but it has more gloss than the old panel.

What can I do to maintain the dull look on the inside?

What happens if I just leave the stain with nothing on top?

Is there a way to reduce the gloss of the satin poly?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

I don't want to put any oil based product, stain or finish, on the inside of a cabinet. Some folks are quite sensitive to the lingering odor,

Interesting, I never thought of it this way.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schoene View Post
    I don't want to put any oil based product, stain or finish, on the inside of a cabinet. Some folks are quite sensitive to the lingering odor,
    Everyone is different. But, I have never had an oder linger from any of the cabinets I've painted with alkyd base paints. However, I could smell the lacquer from my Strat case for over 30 years.
    Phil in Big D
    The only difference between a taxidermist and the taxman, is that the taxidermist leaves the skin. Mark Twain

The only thing I ever use on interiors is shellac. You can always rub it out to the sheen you want.

I would not leave the inside of the cabinet with just the stain and no finish. It will be no match for greasy fingers and subsequent cleaning attempts. Water based poly has very low odor. I really like General Finishes Hi Performance Poly. It's very hard and durable, and goes on crystal clear. If the satin finish you are using is too glossy, you can either add some powdered silica to it or just rub it with 0000 steel wool or 600, 1000 grit, etc. sandpaper after it's cured to give it the sheen you want. A couple of test pieces should tell you what works.

Thanks for everyones comments. I have done as John and Casey suggested and rubbed the satin finish with some fine pads to dull it up a little more. It is easier to make a new door than it is to repair a used one.