Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: seeking advice - sanding solid oak and oak plywood

Make up an adjustable jig similar to this one http://www.nationalwoodworkersclub.c...ustom_edge.jpg
    This jig cuts the banding from the top in plane with the base of the router using a flat bottomed bit.
    Adjust the router bit so it cuts the edging just proud of the plywood surface and take down to flush with your sander.
    Might have to modify the edge guide to allow for that “square” cut edge at the wide side of the box where the bit would need to be lowered down for a side cut (similar to a normal flush trim cut)

I think I would add an auxiliary handle to the long side of the jig just to keep the thing steady.
    Last edited by Tom Ewell; 01-28-2011 at 3:27 PM. Reason: needed to

Get an offset base for router. Cut off part of base, leaving the handled part of base attached to router. Set straight cutter (or spiral) so it is just shy of touching the plywood veneer. Rout excess edging.

Google flush cutting router jig. I'm pretty sure I got this idea from Pat Warner as I think he sells this type of subbase.
    Tim

on the neverending quest for wood.....

Dave, set it up and cut the angles. You can do this. It may take a little tweekin', but it's worth it. Your box will look better.
    Phil in Big D
    The only difference between a taxidermist and the taxman, is that the taxidermist leaves the skin. Mark Twain