Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CNC software

Someone pointed me to this today: http://www.deskproto.com/products/dpfull.htm VisualMill was my top contender as I'll be doing mostly 3D stuff and not relief carving but this package looks pretty good. Seems like it could be easier to use too. Once I get my machine I'll download the demo.

Anyone have any experience with it?

oops, didn't see Gerry's post regarding DeskProto.
    Last edited by Andy Birko; 01-28-2011 at 7:57 PM. Reason: slow down!

Meshcam is very nice, and also affordable - special offer of $175.00. Try the 30 day demo, also see my post regarding my first project in this forum.

Gerry will it do 4th axis for 175??

Thanks,
    Nick

Yes, but it's indexed 4th axis, not continuous. You specify the number of sides, and it'll rotate that many times, machining to a user defined depth at each side. The depth is the same for all the sides.
    Gerry

JointCAM

Another vote for Aspire. We have Artcam 2.5D also, which we rarely work in now that we have Aspire. WinCNC runs the machine.

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everybody knows what to do with the devil but them that has him. My Grandmother
    I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    I didn't change my mind, my mind changed me.
    Bella Terra

6. With the powerful 3D software available for a fraction of the price of the limited 2.5 d software mentioned above, you be well ahead of the game to invest in 3D as you be hard pressed to build complex shapes without the use of 3D software.

VisualMill was my top contender
    good choice..
    Last edited by Brandon MacDougall; 01-31-2011 at 1:14 AM.

Brandon,

Could you elaborate a bit on what you like about VisualMill? I've gone through a good chunk of the tutorials on the demo version and although it seems very powerful, it also seems kind of hard to use. DeskProto was recommended as an easier to use package that's almost as good as VM. Thoughts?

What is the difference between 2.5d and 3d?
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

2.5d is X-Y curves with a fixed Z depth but, different curves can have different final depths. Full 3D is just that.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Heidrick View Post
    What is the difference between 2.5d and 3d?
    The "3D" designs often seen on flatwork (flourishes, fleur-de-lis, etc.) are examples of 2.5D...
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Signs and plaques are often created with 2.5D software, sometimes with additional tricks to improve the final product. if they have illustrations or pictures that look like a carving, thats 3D. Both the CAD and CAM software must be able to produce 3D in order to get 3D G-code.

John

12. Andy,

I do not work for the co. but the programmer's will setup a live demo, just make sure you have a mini project in mind first and some 3D objects you like to load as a test like a STL neck or body shape....

2.5 d Uses raster images to make bumps on the top surfaces.. or what we call "altitude maps" from 0 to 255 in gray scale it a 2D process.
    Last edited by Brandon MacDougall; 01-31-2011 at 2:14 PM.

3d is when you have X, Y, and Z all moving at the exact same time.. or at least the ability to. Examples would be v-carving (even though some marketing might call this 2.5d), spiral parallel finishing (picture a spiral projected onto curved surface), or even a relief that is raster cut at 45deg. XYZ is all moving at once. In practice, if you raster cut your relief at 90deg or 0 deg, you could call that 2.5d because only XZ are moving at once, then Y moves a hair and back and forth you go. Same with pocketing out an area in XY, using multiple step downs. That can be called 2.5d also. Again, in reality, some people call 2D just cutting simple profiles, but it is actually doing multiple Z moves, and if it is ramping into the piece, possibly 3D moves. A program like Rhinocam can engrave, or run the bit along a true 3d curve that you draw and select. Imagine if you needed to cut out a skateboard with typical curled up ends. You couldn't cut it like a flat 2d profile or you would crash into the curled ends at some point. Most people don't need that kind of thing, but don't take for granted that every CAM program can do such a thing.