Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Making a Strawberry Wafflecone

Kathy I think this piece is beautiful thanks for shareing with us!

Great piece and thanks for sharing the process pictures! I have a pile of box elder, some that has really nice color in it, including a piece I have roughed out. I was thinking of adding some paduak to it and I think this piece sealed the deal... now if only I could find some shop time...

Really pretty piece, and way too far above my pay grade for me to offer any suggestions.

+1 on the thanks for posting process pictures, which are a great help to those of us who wouldn't know how to begin a piece like this.

Very nice, Cathy. I can't add to anything that has already been said, but I really like this piece.
    It’s only work if somebody makes you do it.
    A day can really slip by when you're deliberately avoiding what you're supposed to do.
    Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side and it binds the universe together.

Boy, Kathy, that really looks nice!

Nice job. It seems to me, looking at it from 1 direction (the back), the length of the finial is fine, but from the front view, maybe a little long. It is an attractive piece.

Like a kid in a candy store, you seem to be trying all sorts of stuff here. I like the piece, but agree that the finial could be a little shorter, or the "stick" a little longer. All coming from a guy who has made neither. Carry on~

Nicely done, Kathy, and thanks for posting the process pics. I always get a kick out of seeing the way folks turn their forms. I agree with the others about the potential alterations to the finial and pedestal, but those things are so subjective. I'm looking forward to seeing how you tackle the crack in the other piece.

Thanks everyone for the great comments!

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    Kathy, I think you did a wonderful job on all of the elements! Perhaps if the finial were 25% shorter, and add that length to the pedestal, but it is hard to complain about this one. What did you think of the Padauk? I just ended up with some and it looks interesting, though the grain seems to be really open with large pores. From what I can find, it apparently turns to a deep burgundy over time.
    Thanks John! I love padauk, done a couple of bowls from it before but it does have it's pros and cons. Pros: beautiful color, turns nice with sharp tools, sands and finishes nice, all the pieces I've worked with were dry so there was no warping or cracking. Cons: turning and sanding create a fine orange dust that gets everywhere and stains clothes. If you turn some, don't wear white if you want your shirt to stay white! It does have large pores and they need to be filled with something if you plan on using wax over the finish. I don't know how the color stands up since both of the bowls I did got snatched up by my sister and mom right away so haven't seen them for awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Burr View Post
    Beautiful Kathy! Colors go very well together. I'm a huge Paduk fan. One of my favorite pen woods. I like the finial size, but I was thinking a wider foot...1/2" maybe? Just my .02
    Thanks Jim! I love padauk to and I agree on the wider base for the pedestal. At the size it is now, it's a bit tippy if it's not on a level flat surface.
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

Kathy
    Really nice work,love the pictures in sequence and the color match went great.
    Harry

Looks great Kathy. Thanks for posting your work.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathy Marshall View Post
    I don't know how the color stands up since both of the bowls I did got snatched up by my sister and mom right away so haven't seen them for awhile.
    Hi Kathy - I've attached a photo of fresh padauk, and an aged sample. While the fresh is nice and bright, the aged bad either - a nice shade of Burgundy.
    IMG_1489.jpg
    It’s only work if somebody makes you do it.
    A day can really slip by when you're deliberately avoiding what you're supposed to do.
    Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side and it binds the universe together.

Hi Kathy,

I was at the Woodcraft in Chandler today to check out the show (and to spend some more money) and saw this piece on the table from 20 feet away and immediately knew where I had seen it before... beautiful in picture and even better in person. Great job and thanks for showing the in process pics!

Jon

Very interesting design Kathy! Great wood color combination! Finials/pedestals are always subject to opinion and evolve over time. I like the elements in both and look forward to seeing your next version!

Sure is a pretty turning! Nice work!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Super piece, Kathy. Nice design for this beautiful wood. Thanks for the process photos.