Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Making a Strawberry Wafflecone

Making a Strawberry Wafflecone

This is another piece from the boxelder burl I received. 11" x 4" BLO and rattle can lacquer. The lid, finial and pedestal are all paduak.

Started it between centers. I used a 1" forstner bit to drill a level spot for the spur drive.
    1-25-11 01.jpg

Got it down to round and a rough shape. You can see the beginnings of the rim (and the ending of part of the top. The next pic shows where that chunk took a flying leap.
    1-25-11 04.jpg

As you can see, the top is a little bit thinner and the shape is a little more refined. I've also cut the tenon for my chuck.
    1-25-11 06.jpg

The back side. Nice color in this blank.
    1-25-11 05.jpg

Finished form. I think the finial could have been a little shorter and/or a little narrower. I usually end up turning them a little too short, so tried to go taller on this one but I think I may have overdone it. I think I would also have liked the lid to be a little thinner, but it's not bad as it is.
    1-27-11 026.jpg 1-27-11 027.jpg

I've got 1 more piece of the burl cap left but it's got a large crack running horizontally at about the middle, so it will either be a really short form (strawberry shortcake ) or I may try filling the crack with CA and see if it will hold it together for turning and hopefully the crack doesn't go completely through it.

C&C's welcome!
    Thanks for looking!
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

Very nice Kathy, I love the matching of the Strawberry from the form to the finial it really keeps your eyes right on the piece. Very nice!

Kathy, I am always impressed and envious of those with imagination, patience and whatever to produce such wonderful and handsome results. I hope when I grow up I can do something like that.

Kathy, I think you did a wonderful job on all of the elements! Perhaps if the finial were 25% shorter, and add that length to the pedestal, but it is hard to complain about this one. What did you think of the Padauk? I just ended up with some and it looks interesting, though the grain seems to be really open with large pores. From what I can find, it apparently turns to a deep burgundy over time.

Nicely done and very appealing. Ditto - love the color matching.

Wow, that's really cool, and what a great name for it! Nice job.

Thanks for the pictures of the process..nifty piece!

8. Kathy,

Great form. The paduak really compliments the box elder. I think your finial is a pretty good balance to the pedestal. Because of the natural edge that is higher on one side, I think you need the height on the finial to balance it out from all angles. A really nice piece here! The proportion of the thickness of the finial also are complimentary to the pedestal as well.

Keep it up! Thank you for showing us your work!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Beautiful piece, and the name is perfect! I like it just as it is, wouldn't change a thing. Thanks for the WIP pictures.

Very nice! Great choce of wood to compliment the box elder. I think the finial is a good height, maybe just a tad taller pedestal though.

Blog Entries
    Very Nice Kathy. I like it.

Thanks for posting the process pics too. I always liked this type of turnings but wasn't sure how to achieve them.

Your pics give me the Visuals I need to try one now. (I wish everyone posted these type pics.)

Thanks and again, a very nice piece.
    Remember, you are NOT your post count.
    American & Proud
    ~Powermatic 3520B~
    "The GOLDStandard since 1921"
    Graphtec CE5000-60, FlexiSIGN PRO 8.6v2, Refine MH871,
    Photoshop CS5 Extended, Illustrator CS5, CorelDRAW X4, Wacom Intuos3 6x11, Wacom Cintiq, Dual 24" LCD's on MoView Stand, GraphixCALC Pro 2.0.4, QuickBooks 2010, Grain Fraim.

Great color combination! I think the finial may be a little tall compared to the pedestal but thats just an opinion and consider the source!

Thanks for posting the progress pictures. Where a piece came from and how it came to be, is always as interesting to me as the final product!

Beautiful Kathy! Colors go very well together. I'm a huge Paduk fan. One of my favorite pen woods. I like the finial size, but I was thinking a wider foot...1/2" maybe? Just my .02
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

That is a beauty Kathy. I do like the wood combo. I agree the finial is a little long for me. It is really well done.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

First class all the way in my book. Great job and thanks for sharing.

Sid
    Sid Matheny
    McMinnville, TN