Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Star Burst Bowl

Star Burst Bowl

This bowl was a pretty plain piece of maple when I turned it. It was more than I could resist. Out came the candy apple lacquers and yes glitter. I have been playing with spinning paint on the lathe. With the lathe spinning slowly I sprayed gold near the base at close range with gold rattle can lacquer. Then I turned the lathe up to about 1,100 rpm. The paint spread in nice even lines outwardly.
    IMG_4112.jpgIMG_4264.jpgIMG_4256.jpgIMG_4263.jpg

Bob, first of all, the maple is a very nice piece on its own!! Has a good bit of curl going on.

But, I really like this gold paint, centrifugal force thing!! I kind of wish it was a little higher up on the bowl so it would show better. Love the blue and red, too. Still not sold 100% on the glitter, but on this piece I think it works great - fantastic actually.

Not a big fan of painted wood, but I have to admit this is a very cool looking bowl. Nice work!

What a unique and creative way to apply a finish to this bowl, very well done.

Bob - you do have some bright colors!!! Nice bowl and I really like what you did with the gold paint! Great effect but feel it would have stood out even more if the bowl had been one solid color - like the blue you used. I think one color would have enhanced the gold design but find the rainbow effect actually competes for attention. Just my opinion... and I didn't mind the glitter this time around!

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with next!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

I always thought the lathe was just a big Spirograph! Cool technique. Wait, a minute, that toy wasn't a spirograph. I mean the thing where you put the little piece of paper on it and spun it while you drizzled paint. What ever it was called. Maybe that was where I developed an interest in the lathe, hey?
    Mark

You can sometimes count every orange on a tree but never all the trees in a single orange. -A.K. Ramanujan

Very creative! Thanks for sharing your idea.

Glitter...ehhh. But the rest looks really fun. Cool idea with the gold...try it on the inside next time?
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

Very creative. Did you have any trial and error to find the right amount of paint and the right speed? You may need to post pictures of the shop walls after the experimentation!

Very cool, Bob. I'd say it was a successful experiment.
    It’s only work if somebody makes you do it.
    A day can really slip by when you're deliberately avoiding what you're supposed to do.
    Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side and it binds the universe together.

Cool bowl. I think I would have did one color and then maybe the gold spinning effect.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Burge View Post
    ... I mean the thing where you put the little piece of paper on it and spun it while you drizzled paint. What ever it was called. Maybe that was where I developed an interest in the lathe, hey?
    This was my first thought as well, but I can't remember the name either. I love the effect. Thanks for sharing.

Blog Entries
    I believe you guys are looking for the name Spin-Art... my brother (and therefore I) had one when we were young-uns.

I'm not 100% sold on the paint-on-wood thing (yet), but so far I haven't seen one that I didn't like at least some portion of the paint design. If nothing else, that tells me it's worth experimenting with at some point.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Wow! Now that's different, I would have never thought of trying that, but you pulled it off. Very creative, Bob, and a nice bowl.

Looks good but since my favorite part is the gold on blue, would be neat to see that all the way to the rim!