Thread: Claro Platter

Claro Platter

Platter 2.jpgPlatter 1.jpgThis is a claro walnut platter I turned from a 6/4 quarter-sawn board I've had for a few years. It doesn't have much for figure, but the colors are fair. I'm saving the figured stuff for when I learn to turn.
    This is the largest diameter turning I've done to date, 14" x 1 3/8". I finished this one with Mahoney's walnut oil and wax. The jury's still out on the wax, could very well be I don't know what I'm doing.
    I certainly learned that creating a flat bottom on something this size is quite an adventure
    I quickly took a couple of photos at the shop, and they're terrible, sorry about that.
    I'm quite pleased with the end result of the platter, that is, until the critiques come in. Thanks for looking.
    Platter 1.jpgPlatter 2.jpg

Looks good to this novice turner. Way to go.

Looks like a very well done platter Roland, the Walnut coloration will only get better over time, nice piece and well done ;-))
    Have fun and take care

I think it's great, Roland... Time to break out the good stuff(Although this is a nice looking piece of wood in it's own right).

I like the form on this one. Nicely done.

The black through the middle is an interesting feature. Making a flat bottom in a piece this big becomes a real challenge. Well done.

6. That one is a keeper for sure, Roland! Great form on this, and the wide foot is unusual, but very distinctive. You don't see many with that kind of bottom. Great looking rim treatment with the upward turn, and the recessed middle part. Just a great form all the way around! I like it very much!

Good work!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Great looking platter Roland! Looks like you're ready for the figured stuff!

Roland, you did a great job on this!! And, you are right - getting a flat surface on a piece that wide is an accomplishment. Great rim detail, too.

Looks like it has stayed flat. Nice job on turning, it seems to me like you better get after the highly figured stuff now.

Picture perfect Roland! The rim is a classic style and you did a great job of keepin' it flat.
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

That's a very nice platter. I like the whole thing as is, beautiful fit and finish, great form top and bottom, in my opinion.

Roland that is a nice platter. It will get better with age. Great form.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.