Thread: finishing woodwork in new home construction

finishing woodwork in new home construction

So how is it done these days? I know most of it is typically sprayed. What products are being used? I'm talking a typical home with say, red oak cabinets, trim, and doors.

are you finish your own cabinets or buying pre-finished ones? with the numbers of manufactures and different types of finishes it would be hard to narrow down what is being used? i know some are using polyester, 2k's, cv, wb, etc. commercial facilities usually use stuff that is fast curing so they can get the products out the door, were as most doing at home don't have that same concern.

That is something your likely to get a hundred different opinions. Also a lot depends on where you live. Some products just are not available in other parts of the country. Then really no one finish fits all so a lot would depend on the application it was used for. I live near Dallas and I normally finish woodwork and cabinets in a home with Sherwin Williams wood classic oil stain and finish with Mohawk Finishing Products pre-cat lacquer.

Thanks for the replies. I am mostly just curious. They just built two houses in my neighborhood and I had the opportunity to walk through them at the stage where wood trim was in, but unfinished. Next time through, the woodwork was finished, and I could tell it was sprayed because of the overspray on the glass & drywall.

Cabinetry would typically be finished pre-install and spraying would typically be used. The same could hold true for doors. Trim work "could" be pre-finished with the exception of the last coat, but it would likely need to be brushed from there. It really depends upon the contractor...
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 11-11-2012 at 8:25 PM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...