Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Metal projects shop/lathe

I have 3 wood lathes and 1 metal one. I would always be interested in learning more, most metal lathe forums are headed in a different direction that I want to go. I like making tool to help with my turning.

I don't own a metal lathe, but it's somewhere on the list of things I'd like to tinker with... I'd be interesting in a metal working forum, but I wouldn't be able to contribute much except questions.

I also own a metal late, mill and a lot of other metal working tools. I'd be interested in a metal working forum.
    If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem

I like David would be VERY interested in a metal working forum ...... And think just another VORTEX to look foward too.........

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher K. Hartley View Post
    Gary, I have been visiting the following site and in the turning section the guys there use some pretty neat tools that they have built. Thought if you haven't seen it there may be some ideas for you. It is all video.
    Oops I forgot the site, Sorry... http://woodtreks.com/
    Success is the sum of Failure and Learning

Being in the process of finishing my captured system and contemplating building an articulated arm, I would appreciate a woodworking related metal forum. I would hesitate to seek out a dedicated metalworking forum as my metalworking would be the equivalent of someone wanting to build furniture with just a skilsaw and a few files. Can be done, requires care and would probably never make 'furniture art' but might produce a functional workbench or book shelf.
    I know we discuss issues here and so do the machine jocks and neaders. Might be nice to put it all in one place.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

Although I dont have a metal lathe yet, it is on my list of things to get in the near future as I have been wanting one of these as long as I have wanted a wood lathe. I would like to see a metal turning area of these forums.

I would like to see a forum that cover metal-work too my vote is for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Ford View Post
    discussions about tolerances of 0.000? don't. I have no idea how many other people feel the same way.
    Dennis, I feel the same as you about 0.000... When making the stuff I've made for my lathe, I break out with my tape measure.... Most machinists say that anything over .000 is a mile. Cabinet makers say anything over a 1/32" is a mile, and framers say anything under a 1/4" will do....
    Keith, you have my vote on adding metal work to this forum only if you keep it to wood related tool/parts making and machinery/tool upgrades.... Jerry (in Tucson)

My vote also. Thanks for the support, Keith.
    David

11. I have and use three metal lathes and find them indispensable for so many tasks. Wood Lathes compare badly in precision with the metal lathes with each filling a need. I am not selfish and am willing to share my successes using both. Conditional use of a forum as some have suggested should be directed solely by the owners of the forum predudice has no place in progress.The Wood Guild I belong to in Australia has around a dozen SIG,s Special interest groups that meet independantly of the main once a month meeting general. Our great Shed has a forge room adjoining.

Broadening our minds with sharing is foremost to enjoyment with working with machinery and by hand.

Go for it I support the principal of SIG,s like this to round out our knowledge base.

Kind regards Peter.

I would vote for an additional meteal working forum

Christopher, thanks for the link, I am looking forward to exploring it further. On a side note looking at the pictures of you and Thom, you guys could pass for twins!

I would like to see one as well. Not sure how much I could contribute to it at first but it would make for some interesting reading especially on the home grown tooling front.
    "If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy" -Red Green

A metal lathe and welding rig are on my 'gotta have' list. I would be very interested in a metalworking forum.