Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with powering a three phase machine with single phase power.

Help with powering a three phase machine with single phase power.

I have purchased an edge sander that is powered by a 3HP, three phase motor. I would like to use a VFD to power the sander rather than a phase converter. In looking at VFDs there are many to choose from. There is also large price range.

I do not know anything about VFD units, which brands are good, what price range to look at, or where to purchase the unit. Any, and all information would be appreciated.

Sam

I did some research on this 3 years ago when I put a VFD on a 3HP jointer. I chose a Teco brand, model FM50. It's a popular model. I ended up deciding to spend more and I bought one in a NEMA4 chassis which makes it pretty much dust proof. I paid $320, I think you can get a regular one for around $150. There are lots of folks here who are familiar with them so if you need help its easy to get it...joe

Sam,like Joe I also went w/the Teco FM50 from http://www.factorymation.com/s.nl/sc.2/category.11/.f but mine was a 1hp which is fairly cheap compare to the larger hp.But one way to look at it is to set it up to operate other 3phase equipment w/a female cord cap rated for the load.Here is a pic of mine on a PM90.Keep us posted w/your route----Carroll
    Attached Images Attached Images

Carroll,

You are saying that unit is not attached to the lathe, and it is not wired directly? You have a female plug on the cord we cannot see, and you can move the VFD from one machine to another?

Simplicity...true mark of a genius.

Rick Potter

The Teco FM50 drive is going to be the most cost efficient and a perfect drive for a sander since none of the features not found on the higher dollar drives would be very useful for a sander.

I had considered making a roll around "power station" to power multiple 3 phase equipment. This would work fine as long as you didn't want to program them differently, however this may also be possible but I have not investigated it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post

I had considered making a roll around "power station" to power multiple 3 phase equipment. This would work fine as long as you didn't want to program them differently, however this may also be possible but I have not investigated it yet.
    I think that the hitachi drives from drives wharehouse can be programmed with several setups for different motors. It's in the manual. The teco drives are a little cheaper, and work fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Cherry View Post
    I think that the hitachi drives from drives wharehouse can be programmed with several setups for different motors. It's in the manual. The teco drives are a little cheaper, and work fine.
    I had gathered that but never bothered to figure it out. The higher level Teco drives and most of the Hitachi drives also have the removable keypad and you can buy them for the FM50 as well. There is a whole world of opportunity in VFDs.

Rich this drive is only a 1hp and its hard wired into the lathe,I have a rotary converter setup for other machines.Buying and spending that much money for a 3hp which will be alittle over 300.00 if you go w/ the FM 50,but the better drive is the 7300 series.So to get the biggest bang for the bucks would be like Van said is to make it portable and run other machines that are 3hp and smaller.On the smaller machines you will not have OL protection since its setup for a 3hp using the drive,but I think that we all know our machines motors.To have the OL protection you can leave your starter mounted on the machine and run the drive through it.But you will not control the S/S through the starter its there only there for OL protection.----Carroll

There is a lot of information out there about phase converters. There is even a sub forum on a CNC website that has all kinds of good info.
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/phase_converters_vfd/

When I looked into VFD's a few years ago, this site had the best prices.
    http://www.factorymation.com/

I didn't end up setting up a VFD, though so I can't comment on the quality.

I'm not sure how you would have the OL protection using the heaters in the magnetic switch if you use a VFD. The instructions are very specific that you can not have anything between the VFD and the motor. I've been using the FM50 for a Powermatic 66. I wired sockets and plugs to make it portable if I wind up buying more three phase equipment.

Thank you everyone for your input and help. Carroll, thanks for the photo. In your set up, do you turn the switch on to sent single phase power to the VFD? Then do you turn the lathe on with the VFD? Does the VFD serve as the switch, to turn machines on and off?

Thanks again everyone for your help and links. One think I like about the VFD is the ability to have variable speed. I think with an edge sander it would be good to be able to adjust the speed.

Sam

Blog Entries
    You REALLY should NOT have anything, Disconnect, switch or plugs between the VFD output and your machine's motor. Should be hard wired together. You can put switch between power and the VFD, and you can use remote wiring to turn motor on and off, but your asking for trouble with VFD if you forget and cut power between it and machine motor. These things are really one per motor. Just say'n!

I have purchased vfd's from Dealers Electric, Motors, Motor, Variable Speeds, Reducers, Inverters, Transformers, Gearmotors and more!
    fair selection of vfd's and motors,too!
    brent

FM50-203C for 3 hp machines is $185, not $300...

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Strauss View Post
    FM50-203C for 3 hp machines is $185, not $300...
    I paid $320 for an FM50 in a NEMA 4 chassis. As I said above the normal chassis is much cheaper...joe