Thread: Question about gluing Lignum Vitae

Question about gluing Lignum Vitae

Well, business is back to managing it self (read that as "slow") right now, the home repairs are finished or ignored, and SWMO says go out and turn something. Insert the issues from the threads about turners block here. So I actually get a day in the shop. I bought a small piece of Lignum Vitae (it might actually be the Argentina species) about a year ago, and I thought I might try a segmented piece with it. I have read threads here where the oiliness of the wood makes it hard to glue. So the question is what glue works best? Are there any good techniques to make joints stronger? Any other ideas to actually make this work? While I am at it, i suppose this thread should go as far as finishing ideas as well. So.... LV users, please speak up.
    Brian

Sawdust Formation Engineer
    in charge of Blade Dulling

The biggest problem with gluing any tropical oily turning blank is that it has not been kiln dried. "no matter what the seller says".

Put the peice in front of a fan in a warm dry place for a month or two before using it or after rough cutting or turning and it will glue well.

What are the chances of it cracking or spliting if you do put it in front of a fan for a while like this? This seems backwards to everything else I have read or been told here about slow drying wood with DNA, bagging...etc... to prevent cracking and checking and spliting. I am new to turning so this is a serious question, I in no way mean any disrespect to you by questioning your advice just trying to clarify your recommendation.

I have some LV I will be turning soon myself so would be nice to clarify the proper way to deal with it.

Wipe the surface down with alcohol to help remove oils just before gluing...seems to help.
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

With segmented turning, I say, when in doubt, go with epoxy.

I don't trust wood glues for things like Cocobolo, and lignum, if I could afford it.
    Quando Omni Flunkus - Moritatem!