Thread: Wood Mag drill review

Wood Mag drill review

Anyone read the cordless review in Wood mag this month ? I was sorta suprised at the results. I was also suprised at festool ranking 3rd but was in the top 3 for their picks.

My read on the review was that any of the top three were great choices and all deserved ranking as "Top Tool"...they were all there because each offered some unique features or ablities; the Dewalt for shear power/perforamance, the Panasonic for long run time and the Festool for great versatility. I actually liked this approach because it identified not only the best of the best but also showed some unique differences that might help you or I choose the right tool for our own needs. I said as much to Dave when I got my pre-release copy of the magazine, too...

I happen to own both the Dewalt (a slightly older version) and the Festool and agree with their assessments on both designs. I also use them for different things...the Dewalt when I really need the power and increasingly the Festool for it's lighter weight and versatility.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Too bad the new milwaukee's weren't in the test, with there new batteries, I'd like to see some head to head comparsions.
    Wes Newman

"Where did all of my money go? "

I have always said that I would put my Dewalt XRP up against any drill, and now someone else agrees with me.
    If at 1st you don't succeed, go back to the lumberyard and get some more wood.

I agree. I have the Dewalt 14.4 with the 3 speed gearbox. Man what a drill. I tried porter-cable drills and they were'nt even close.
    Clint
    poor, self-employed woodworker

Wes beat me to it; I was going to post the same link. We won't know how awesome the new Milwaukee tools are until March when they come out, but knowing they will be super expensive I've taken the Milwaukee off the wish list and put the dewalt on it. My old Makita 12volt just isn't making anymore, the batteries are shot. Hardly holds a charge anymore, time to move up... When I worked at the hardware store, the contractors all swore by Dewalt cordless drills, though my dad has one of Milwaukee's first 9.6 volts and though he replaced the batteries a couple times, that little drill is still chugging along with no problems. You have got to be impressed with Milwaukee tools.

Chuck

I swear everybody likes DeWalt because of the pretty yellow color. I haven't read the review but I've used DeWalt, Bosch, Porter-Cable and Panasonic and my choice was Bosch hands down. When I was doing a deck this past summer the guy I was working with kept marveling how much better the Bosch was than his DeWalt.