Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can someone recommend inwall fan for sucking dust out of garage

Question Can someone recommend inwall fan for sucking dust out of garage

Im looking to buy a cheap in wall fan to suck dust out of garage with a damper on it that closes when its off. I plan on cutting a hole in the wall of garage and installing one.
    I have the jet air filtration in there but I need more than that. Plus my furnance is in garage and it sees alot of dust which means my house does too.

Can someone send me a link or name and where to find one?

THANKS

My answer is another question: is moving saw/sanding dust and possible fumes through a “cheap” fan motor a satisfactory solution to your situation? That is, will it prematurely shorten the motors life or cause a fire?

I have seen exhaust fans with louvers/dampener that automatically open when turn on, but I would expect that such things are pricey.

How 'bout kitchen/bathroom/attic exhaust fan? Then again, are they are designed to move dust? You might need to figure out how big the garage is and how many cubic feet per minute the fan will move. Might even need to put in two? Or, a large box fan? I once had a box fan with a furnace air filter fixed to the intake side to catch sanding dust. Worked after a fashion.

Maybe call the local HVAC installers to for some ideas.

Might be best-better to consider some type of dust collection system to remove the dust at it source, esp. since your furnace is also in the garage/shop.

If I recall correctly, Woodsmith (or ShopNotes??) once ran an article on making a shop air filtration unit -- like your JET -- using a series of furnace air filters and a HVAC squirrel cage blower in a plywood box hung from the shop ceiling. The article claimed that 2 such units work much better than one and it is advisable to install a timer to re-circulate and clean the air after you close up shop done the day.

I think that having a fan in the wall would not get the dust from the actual source. I would suggest getting a dust collector, remove the bags and pipe it straight outside. Same concept but gets the dust before it gets in the air & your lungs.
    Laser - Universal PLS 6.60; CNC Router - Gerber 408
    Corel 9 & Corel X2
    Hollow Woodworks

IF you put a fan in the garage/shop you will mess up the operation of the furnace/Air conditioning in their seasons. You will SUCK carbon monoxide in to the shop and warm air out of the house in the winter. In the summer you will pull the cool air out of the house. This all goes thru the duct work of the home. Also if you have a gas water heater you will get the carbon monoxide from it too.
    Randy

Don't worry abuot tommorrow, it may never arrive
    Don't fret over yesterdays mistake, you can't undo them
    Just live today the best you can.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Beachler View Post
    I think that having a fan in the wall would not get the dust from the actual source. I would suggest getting a dust collector, remove the bags and pipe it straight outside. Same concept but gets the dust before it gets in the air & your lungs.
    This is for orbital sanding dust , belt sanding , general sanding. Everything else is hooked up to a 3hp DC. In my place I cant just shoot dust outside but maybe build a hut for machine and bags but thats just too much.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moore View Post
    IF you put a fan in the garage/shop you will mess up the operation of the furnace/Air conditioning in their seasons. You will SUCK carbon monoxide in to the shop and warm air out of the house in the winter. In the summer you will pull the cool air out of the house. This all goes thru the duct work of the home. Also if you have a gas water heater you will get the carbon monoxide from it too.
    My garage isnt cooled or heated by the furnace.Nor do we have air conditioning up here.The fan I want to install would be 100% opposite wall and side of the furnace in a 3 car garage.Im not sure how carbon monoxide would be brought in.Im just trying to ciruclate dust out instead of it just settling when its bad in there. Couple times a week if that.I wear a mask but if face frames on cabinets are being sanded its alot.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Newman View Post
    My answer is another question: is moving saw/sanding dust and possible fumes through a “cheap” fan motor a satisfactory solution to your situation? That is, will it prematurely shorten the motors life or cause a fire?

I have seen exhaust fans with louvers/dampener that automatically open when turn on, but I would expect that such things are pricey.

How 'bout kitchen/bathroom/attic exhaust fan? Then again, are they are designed to move dust? You might need to figure out how big the garage is and how many cubic feet per minute the fan will move. Might even need to put in two? Or, a large box fan? I once had a box fan with a furnace air filter fixed to the intake side to catch sanding dust. Worked after a fashion.

Maybe call the local HVAC installers to for some ideas.

Might be best-better to consider some type of dust collection system to remove the dust at it source, esp. since your furnace is also in the garage/shop.

If I recall correctly, Woodsmith (or ShopNotes??) once ran an article on making a shop air filtration unit -- like your JET -- using a series of furnace air filters and a HVAC squirrel cage blower in a plywood box hung from the shop ceiling. The article claimed that 2 such units work much better than one and it is advisable to install a timer to re-circulate and clean the air after you close up shop done the day.
    My cheap $3 filters can get clogged with dust in 2 hours or less when dusty in there. I dont think two would help the clogging issue.
    One thing I could make was a pretty big downdraft table but that may not work either due to heights of cabs off of table when sanding.

Quote Originally Posted by Craig D Peltier View Post
    This is for orbital sanding dust , belt sanding , general sanding. Everything else is hooked up to a 3hp DC. In my place I cant just shoot dust outside but maybe build a hut for machine and bags but thats just too much.
    Would hooking your sanders up to the DC help ?
    I have a G1030Z2 DC with (temporary) 4" PVC piping to a 2" shopvac flex hose rigged to an adapter(s) for my 5" random orbital and 4" belt-sander; sanded pine and some ply-wood for 2-3 hours a few weeks ago with very-very little dust.
    Have the 2" flex hanging from the ceiling (rigged to a couple springs) along with a clip and zip-tie to get the sanders power cords out of the way.

You'll definitely need to provide makeup air for it to be effective. I have a 20" fan in my shop and if I don't open a door or window it struggles to move much air. If the door isn't completely closed it will pull it right open.

I got mine on Ebay for a really good price from a company that was selling a bunch of Grainger fans that had been used for airflow testing. Its about a $350 fan otherwise. I also see used ones on Craigslist from time to time. Grainger has the louvers. The louvers really don't seal that great and the wind can catch them just right and let air in. I have a box built over the fan from 2" of foam insulation and a removable panel that seals it up when not in use.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Watson View Post
    Would hooking your sanders up to the DC help ?
    I have a G1030Z2 DC with (temporary) 4" PVC piping to a 2" shopvac flex hose rigged to an adapter(s) for my 5" random orbital and 4" belt-sander; sanded pine and some ply-wood for 2-3 hours a few weeks ago with very-very little dust.
    Have the 2" flex hanging from the ceiling (rigged to a couple springs) along with a clip and zip-tie to get the sanders power cords out of the way.
    Thanks Joe, maybe go something like that or just get festool sander and vac.

Quote Originally Posted by Craig D Peltier View Post
    My garage isnt cooled or heated by the furnace.Nor do we have air conditioning up here.The fan I want to install would be 100% opposite wall and side of the furnace in a 3 car garage.Im not sure how carbon monoxide would be brought in.
    Without sufficient makeup air to the fan, the fan will pull air from wherever it can. If the furnace or water heater are in the same space, it will pull air down the chimney and through the furnace/water heater and back into the space. Unless you have a high-efficiency furnace/water heater, the combustion is not sealed and draws its makeup air from the surrounding space. This means that negative pressure will backdraft the exhaust from these items.

Any suitably strong exhaust fan is going to need a suitable supply of air. Basically, you'll have to open a window or door to allow the fan to exhaust enough air to make it worthwhile.

Well, I was an idiot for not explaining my response to you question. However Thomas Bank answered it for me.
    Randy

Don't worry abuot tommorrow, it may never arrive
    Don't fret over yesterdays mistake, you can't undo them
    Just live today the best you can.

Just get one of these to clean the air you have. Run it when you are sanding.

http://www.amazon.com/708620B-AFS-10...6446181&sr=1-1

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moore View Post
    Well, I was an idiot for not explaining my response to you question.
    Not an idiot. I just tend to be verbose with my answers...

An alternative to a fan in the wall sucking dust out would be a fan in the wall pushing air into the shop, and another opening to exhaust. Having said this, start with dust collection at the source, it's much more efficient to catch it there. I've been at this hobby for 30 years. For way too long I used hand held sanders with no dust collection. Basic shop vacs work pretty well with sanders designed for dust collection. I'd start there.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bank View Post
    Without sufficient makeup air to the fan, the fan will pull air from wherever it can. If the furnace or water heater are in the same space, it will pull air down the chimney and through the furnace/water heater and back into the space. Unless you have a high-efficiency furnace/water heater, the combustion is not sealed and draws its makeup air from the surrounding space. This means that negative pressure will backdraft the exhaust from these items.

Any suitably strong exhaust fan is going to need a suitable supply of air. Basically, you'll have to open a window or door to allow the fan to exhaust enough air to make it worthwhile.

Yes, what he said. It can be dangerous as it can bring carbon monoxide into the garage and subsequently into the house.
    I remember once I was going to change the range hood in our house (electric stove BTW) and had to be careful with the CFM rating of the hood.
    Couldn't put a powerful unit because of the same problem (that's against safety code).

For handheld sanders I use my shopvac. For larger machines a good dust collector is needed.