Thread: Another articulated hollowing system

Another articulated hollowing system

Here is my version of a snake style hollowing system. The laser system is from my McNaughton coring tool.
    snake.3.jpg

Bob, thanks for posting your snake.... Is there another piece that isn't seen in the photo??? Can you post another pic of the system stretched out? I wished that these threads would have come up before I started making mine. I would have definately made another style of tool, but for now, I'm sticking with what I have.... Jerry (in Tucson)

Blog Entries
    Looks Great.

Congrats.
    Remember, you are NOT your post count.
    American & Proud
    ~Powermatic 3520B~
    "The GOLDStandard since 1921"
    Graphtec CE5000-60, FlexiSIGN PRO 8.6v2, Refine MH871,
    Photoshop CS5 Extended, Illustrator CS5, CorelDRAW X4, Wacom Intuos3 6x11, Wacom Cintiq, Dual 24" LCD's on MoView Stand, GraphixCALC Pro 2.0.4, QuickBooks 2010, Grain Fraim.

Scott: Here's a shot fully extended. The first photo was hiding the final section holding the round cutting bar and bit. The tool fits into the tailstock by threading onto a #2 MT "Ruth Niles" bottle stopper adapter and secured by threading a threaded rod through the tail stock. The round cutting bar is a 3/4" rod turned down to 1/2" to fit into the final arm section. I use a 3/16th inch tool bit from Enco clamped into a Sorby swivel tip holder.

IMG_0227.jpg

Pretty neat. I wonder though, do you have any problems with the tool assembly rotating after a bad catch? Without a post attached to the ways and only stabbed into the tail stock I would think that it might rotate. Very beefy!
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

Looks beefy and well built. I have to agree with Scott on the tailstock issue and twisting with a catch.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

I would think with a draw bolt through the tailstock, twisting would not be an issue. I know some others here have this system, maybe they can chime in.

Are there bearings between those sections? Or are they just bolted together?
    David

The bearings I used were graphite impregnated bronze sleeve bearings with a flange. The bar stock is 1 1/2" so I used 3/4" length and installed a sleeve bearing top and bottom of each section. Got them through McMaster Carr online, P/N 9440T18 for $1.67 each.

Regarding twisting with a big catch, I secure the tool with a threaded shaft through the tail stock, tighten down with a wing nut, and then turn the tail stock wheel slightly to REALLY tighten it down. However a BIG catch will result in twisting, so just don't get a big catch!

I really wound like to build one of these someday. Nice job with this one looks like it should get the job done just fine! !
    z
    If at first you don't succeed, look in the trash for the instructions.