Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buckeye & Blackwood

1. Buckeye & Blackwood

The body is about 6" x 3" and overall the piece stands just shy of 11". Lacquer on the buckeye and the blackwood is just buffed. Comments and critiques welcomed.

Mark,

What a beauty! The simplicity of the forms of the finial and stand really give the piece a feeling of gracefullness. The buckeye is typical naturally beautiful buckeye and the form of the body is dead on! The finish allow the woods to be the stars of the show.

Nicely done Mark.....as we have come to expect from you! Nicely done.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Wow that is beautiful Mark. I do like the stand and finial.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Mark,

Overall I really like the piece. I really like the simple graceful form of the body as well as the pedestal and finial. IMHO it is harder to do a simple form that looks good.The one spot that I personally think could look better is to blend the top of the body into the lid. I think it would flow better. But I would not turn it down for my collection. Very well done!

Alan

Raised in the US (elementary in Lawrence, graduated in Boulder). Now in Israel.
    Hole in one !

Mark, where is the natural edge!?!?! Oh wait, we can count the one on the void! I just knew the king of NE wouldn't let us down!

Nice work on this one - I like the simplicity of it. While there are things I may have done differently, much of that is simply a function of individual taste. As always, you do exceptional work, with fine detail and tool control. I like the finish on this one - very appropriate.

Excellent piece, Mark. Personally, I like the transition from the top of the form going into the finial base...something I need to work on. The first thing that hits me when looking at a piece is the proportions, and I'd say you nailed this one. The finial and pedestal height work perfectly, and the diameter of the base also...just right . I see some where the base is too small. And then that buckeye looks great! A+++

Beautiful piece, Mark! The long gradual curves and clean lines of the finial and stand really set this piece apart for me.

That is Really nice!!

Normally I don't like the coloration of Buckeye Burl but paired with the blackwood it looks really good. Thanks for broadening my views.

Mark - as always - beautiful work!

I have to admit that I had to study this piece for a while. We are all aware of the rule of thirds and this piece breaks that rule. Still, when you study the piece - it works! I really like the simplicity of the pedestal and finial! Personally, I find it much harder to get the curves right - when that is all there is - and you nailed these!

Really like the color combination and the small voids! Any time you can keep the natural character of the wood - it adds to the piece!

Very nice work Mark! Thanks for sharing!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Very nice. The pedestal and finial are very graceful and definitely add to the beauty of the piece as a whole.

Nice work. The buckeye is a beauty. I like your contemporary lines of the finial/pedestal work.

Very nice job. It has alot of character with a touch of class.

As soon as I saw your name on the posting Mark, I knew it would be amazing. You never disappoint. Bravo sir!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

Extremely nice piece, Mark. If I could do that, I'd do it just like that. Seriously, I really like the lines of the finial and pedestal, it doesn't take away from the main event. Nice work!