Thread: Need help to make decison, Old Style PC 7116 VS Leigh 24" Dovetail

Need help to make decison, Old Style PC 7116 VS Leigh 24" Dovetail

I have the older style Porter Cable 7116 24" Dovetail jig, The templates cost more now, and they are harder to get, I dont know why someone can't make them for the aftermarket. The Leigh templates are more expensive. Will I regret selling it and buying a Leigh down the road?

If you're not happy with your PC jig and can sell it then do it. Newer products usually have some advantages over the older ones. There are other jigs out there besides the Leighs.

Its NEVER used, close to mint.

When I was shopping around for a jig for a small project I concidered many different brands. Everything from Rockler's to the expensive PorterCable. After looking at the cost of the less expensive Rockler (I figured I'd use it once then allow it to collect dust) with all templates (if I decided I liked it and wanted to continue using it for other projects), I decided to go with the "Leigh Super" because it came out to be less money and had more adjustments than the Rockler (more money up front, but potentially less if at the end of the day I decided to use it again), and an owner's instruction booklet that makes sense, is well written, and is easy to follow (more than I can say for most other brands and is important when I use it... maybe... once a year). I have no regrets and would buy it again if something happend to it.

Long story short: You won't go wrong with the Leigh; they make great jigs that are easy to use. It comes down to how often you will use it and features that are important to you. Also, you won't go wrong with the PC, if that fits your needs. At the end of the day, they both make dovetails.