Thread: Difference between Satin & Semi Gloss

Difference between Satin & Semi Gloss

Specifically, on Target Finishes...

Semi-gloss is glossier than satin. In woodworking finishes, the progression is matte, satin, semi-gloss, gloss. In house paints, they have sheens with names like eggshell. Dunno where that fits.

The Little Tennessee River near Knoxville.

Different Levels of Sheen

There is actually a "Gloss Meter" that actually puts a number to a sheen level. The amount of gloss or sheen is measured in degrees.

This will help you for comparative purposes:

Gloss = 90 Degrees
    Semi-Gloss= 60 Degrees
    Satin = 50 Degrees
    Hand Rubbed Oil Finish = 35 Degrees
    Flat = 25 Degrees
    Dead Flat = 10 Degrees.

You can order any amount of sheen you want or adjust it yourself with the addition of flatteners.
    Last edited by Tony Bilello; 01-30-2011 at 6:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    Semi-gloss is glossier than satin. In woodworking finishes, the progression is matte, satin, semi-gloss, gloss. In house paints, they have sheens with names like eggshell. Dunno where that fits.
    I'd say matte, low luster, satin.......
    I would call egg shell a low luster. I believe those terms are used in paint products. In clear finishes, gloss is the hardest finish, matte being the softest.
    Phil in Big D
    The only difference between a taxidermist and the taxman, is that the taxidermist leaves the skin. Mark Twain

Blog Entries
    Manufacturers control the sheen of the finish by adding flatting agents such as silica that reduce the gloss by partially absorbing or scattering the reflected light. The finishes are sold as semi-gloss, satin, or flat depending on how much flatting agent has been added. The flatting agents will settle out so be sure to stir well before using.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Rimmer View Post
    ..........The finishes are sold as semi-gloss, satin, or flat depending on how much flatting agent has been added. The flatting agents will settle out so be sure to stir well before using.
    You can buy a flattening agent for just about anything. Since I use pre-cat lacquer, I have a flattening paste that I keep around 'just in case'. This particular one is for solvent based finishes. I rarely ever use it because I buy my stuff in the sheen I want. I have written down somewhere in my shop how much paste to use to knock down the sheen to a certain level.

Someone that does a lot of different finishes told me that semi-gloss was gloss that had some flattening material added, and if you wanted to build up a thick clear finish you should only use gloss for the lower coats to prevent having a deep dull funish. You can always dull a gloss finish, but you cannot clear up a dull clear finish.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Canfield View Post
    Someone that does a lot of different finishes told me that semi-gloss was gloss that had some flattening material added, and if you wanted to build up a thick clear finish you should only use gloss for the lower coats to prevent having a deep dull funish. You can always dull a gloss finish, but you cannot clear up a dull clear finish.
    You are 100% correct on all of the above.

Those gloss specifications are measured in "gloss units" more of a percentage (ie. unitless), though I have seen the specification given with a degree mark. But, properly The degrees come in because the measurements are made by reflecting light of the surface at a number of different angles.

Different manufacturers have significantly different ideas what constitutes satin and semi-gloss. For example, Waterlox says their Satin is 20- 25 and Gloss is 85.

I'd go to the forum on at www.targetcoatings.com/finishers_forum.html to ask the question. I did see that on the 8000 conversion varnish they listed gloss at 90, semi-gloss at 65,and satin at 35, with flat at 10. But other coatings didn't provide these statistics.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schoene View Post
    .........Different manufacturers have significantly different ideas what constitutes satin and semi-gloss. For example, Waterlox says their Satin is 20- 25 and Gloss is 85. .
    I agree. The naming of the sheen can fall within a broad spectrum - so to speak. I can understand why manufacturers want to use the terminology to their advantage. The problem arises in that the rest of the world may not know exactly what they are getting in the way of sheen. Once someone set up a scale (gloss meter for example) to go by, whether it be in % or in degrees, everyone knows exactly what they are getting. However, this doesn't seem to mean much if the numbers are not posted with the product.