Thread: help with lathe setup

help with lathe setup

I知 new to turning, and have bought an old Yates American J-170 with a few needs. I have a Leeson single phase 1750rpm motor to put on it. There are two grooved V-belts here about 1x30- not sure of age, but fairly pliable. I知 reluctant to take down the Reeves mechanism, as I知 not yet sure how it would work as is. Can anyone share experience about how tight the belts should be? I have to decide how to mount the motor, which will determine the height of the drive sheave, and that will determine the resting belt tension with the Reeves at its lowest point by the variable speed adjust. I have the manual and diagrams, but I cannot find any photos or other info to indicate motor position or belt tension, and I致e not seen one of these exposed while running. If I do need to take down the variable pulley, any advise on where to get help so as not to destroy it? Thanks for your comments.

Not sure about your lathe but welcome here!
    David

Welcome to SMC Carey. I am not sure either on your lathe but someone will jump in here with some help.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

When I had my old Delta 450 I used a link belt on one of the pulleys. If the motor is not going to be at the same height I would use the link belt on the bottom pulleys. This should get you in the ball park. If it runs, adjusting the belt size would become a matter of more or less links in the belt. Most of those old reeves drives were built like a battle ship. I would google the model number, manuel, etc. I'm sure something would turn up. Also go to one of the old woodworking tool sites. Like this http://vintagemachinery.org/home.aspx

Hi and welcome Carey. I can't help you with your question for sure, but at the site Bob Bergstrom linked you to above I found this...http://vintagemachinery.org/photoind...l.aspx?id=6261 Looks like someone has done a nice restoration and probably know that lathe inside and out.

And on this post there's a pic of the headstock opened up...http://vintagemachinery.org/photoind...l.aspx?id=6172 It appears that the reeves drive is driven by the second belt you referred to. The tension on the reeves will be self adjusting by the spring pressure when turning the speed lever while the lathe is running. I would think the other belt would be tensioned like any other belt drive. Make sure the reeves pulley is lubed and slides freely on it's shaft and only adjust the speed while it's running.
    Last edited by Curt Fuller; 01-30-2011 at 7:12 PM.

Curt: Your help

Curt: You have been INCREDIBLY helpful, and I've learned a bit about using the site's resources. I've sent messages to the two rebuilds' owners, and can only hope that they are as generous with help as you. THANKS!

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Fuller View Post
    Hi and welcome Carey. I can't help you with your question for sure, but at the site Bob Bergstrom linked you to above I found this...http://vintagemachinery.org/photoind...l.aspx?id=6261 Looks like someone has done a nice restoration and probably know that lathe inside and out.

And on this post there's a pic of the headstock opened up...http://vintagemachinery.org/photoind...l.aspx?id=6172 It appears that the reeves drive is driven by the second belt you referred to. The tension on the reeves will be self adjusting by the spring pressure when turning the speed lever while the lathe is running. I would think the other belt would be tensioned like any other belt drive. Make sure the reeves pulley is lubed and slides freely on it's shaft and only adjust the speed while it's running.

Yates had a good reputation for quality tools, this should be a good lathe.

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

Love my J-170; it's a real sturdy lathe and will handle off-balance work very well.

I'd recommend removing the Reeves drive and cleaning it just to be sure; it's a key component that would be hard to replace. Cleaning, then keeping it properly lubed after will protect the slidey bits and keep it working well for you.

The belts should be snug - not tight, but the drive won't work properly if there is slop in the belts. Here are some pics of the Reeves drive on my bandsaw that show pretty clearly how these drives work:

From above. The drive is in the low speed position. When we move the lever to the left...

...the belt tension forces the pulley at the bottom open, while the pulley at the top of the pic is forced closed.

So both belts maintain tension, and the drive doesn't slip.

HTH,
    Timothy
    Attached Images Attached Images