Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: first bowl shape, turning is learning

first bowl shape, turning is learning

I have now turn several tool handles and tried a bowl shape. It was quite a struggle. I had watched a UTube video series on how to turn a bowl without a chuck. I forgot who made it but he made it almost idiot proof.....almost. I started out with a small nice of scrap wood with a huge check in it. I was going to turn the check out but it real deep. I ended up cutting out the check and starting over with a now much smaller piece of wood . I didn't have the super glue and activator (regular didn't work too well and it flew off) I tried a little 5 minute epoxy and at least it stayed on. My last mistake was reversing the piece and using paper towels to remount to clean up the foot. I had too much "stuffing" inside the bowl and it was out of round and I ended up with an uneven wall thickness It was looking pretty good until then. Mistakes are good, I guess. I will remember what went what went wrong next time. It's only 4" x 3" and took about 4 hours but at least I learned something.
    Deane
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Originality is the art of concealing your source.
    Franklin P. Jones
    Comments & criticism on postings welcomed.

That is a nice shape. Everyone has had problems with turning projects, stick with it and keep on learning it is a BLAST!

Very nice bowl-never would have quessed it was your first. You are right about learning from mistakes.
    By all means see if there is a turning club in your area - makes for a much shorter learning curve!

You did a good job on it, that is a nice bowl. Don't worry about how long it took, you will get faster (it is not a race anyway).

5. Great bowl. Like you say you learn everyday! Never believe a guy that says he knows it all, it just ain't possible! I can't see uneven thickness from here! Nice looking finish too Looking forward to seeing the next one!

6. Deane,

We all have been where you are.........You did good here with this, for your first bowl. As you go along you will pick up tools and techniques that will help you gain on your goals........especially a 4 jaw scroll chuck when you get it.

Keep 'em spinnin!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

That'll hold some rice Deane!! Remember learning to drive? Did it take you 30 minutes?...Hope not. This will take longer and for a start, you did a fine job. I'd display it happily!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

Deane - I like your bowl! Seriously! Nice form and I love the wood! Make sure you sign and date it as there is only one first!

Nice work! I also have to second Brian's suggestion of getting with your local turning club! It will save you a lot of time and frustration!

Looking forward to seeing your next bowl! Have fun!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Deane, I would say you did an excellent job!! Very nice piece of wood, good form, and a tough cut coming out of that deep of a bowl. I learn something everytime I turn on the lathe, so this will be just one of many learning sessions for you I hope.

Nicely done especially for a first (or tenth)! I like the smooth curve and the little foot adds to the lift.

Nice job Deane. That is a lot harder than needed for a first bowl, but one you will remember. You need to find some green wood to wear out for practice in future, but gluing block to green is not always that successful.

Like others have said, you nailed the curve. It looks great. Of course, you will always see the wall thickness variation, but I think this is a great first bowl effort.
    Mark

You can sometimes count every orange on a tree but never all the trees in a single orange. -A.K. Ramanujan

Really nicely done for your first. I agree to sign it, date it and hang onto it for comparison down the road.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Great curve for your first bowl! I think my first one took at least that long. They do get faster. Sometimes.....

We never do stop learning, as long as we have an open mind. Nice job on your first bowl, nothing to complain about there! Good form and nice wood.