Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grammar and Word Usage

Blog Entries

Grammar and Word Usage

Ever have to stop and think about the correct usage of words like:

choose and chose
    loose and lose

Why is for a while correct an for awhile incorrect?

well, the answers are here:

http://languageandgrammar.com/common-grammar-errors/

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Thank you Jim. Sometimes I think I am loosing my mind. But then that is impossible because there is no such word as "loosing".
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Shakespear's "Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war" had been improved by modern writers who prefer to employ the phrase "loose the dogs of war". Couldn't we speak of "loosing the dogs of war"?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Tashiro View Post
    Shakespear's "Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war" had been improved by modern writers who prefer to employ the phrase "loose the dogs of war". Couldn't we speak of "loosing the dogs of war"?
    Or loosing our minds on a particular problem?

I know a few times I enjoy loosening my mind with a little mind lubricant called rum, wine or beer.

As I lay down to sleep, after any prayers I like to let my mind run loose as it may choose.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Eats, Shoots & Leaves
    The zero tolerance approach to punctuation by Lynne Truss.

A great read.

I can live with lousy punctuation and spelling as long as I can decipher what someone's trying to say. I may not like it, but I'll generally let it go. It's the phrases that at one time made sense, but that people have turned into idiomatic expressions, that irk me especially when the phrase is correct but the meaning is completely wrong.

"The proof is in the pudding"

"The exception that proves the rule"

"For all intensive purposes"

My wife says I'm going to make a wonderful grumpy, old man someday

Blog Entries
    I struggle with how the affect will effect people.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John Coloccia View Post
    I can live with lousy punctuation and spelling as long as I can decipher what someone's trying to say. I may not like it, but I'll generally let it go. It's the phrases that at one time made sense, but that people have turned into idiomatic expressions, that irk me especially when the phrase is correct but the meaning is completely wrong.

You might enjoy this: http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/p...e-pudding.html

Blog Entries
    I think this one is misquoted so often because people have only heard it spoken... when I was eight, I thought my dad was saying "I Pacifically said..." rather than "specifically". I couldn't figure out what an ocean had to do with it, but my mind was molding the spoken words to what knowledge my brain currently stored. Sure, it makes no sense, but we're willing to let the lack of meaning go because the desired meaning appears to be understood.

Of, and for those who are not aware, it's "For all intents and purposes...", meaning "for all practical purposes..."
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Good point, Dan. I guess I should have given the actually meanings:

"The proof of the pudding is in the eating", "proof" being used in the sense of "test". The test of something's quality is to actually use it.

"The exception that proves the rule". This is a legal term. If you see a sign that says "Park open Dawn til Dusk", it need not also say "Park closed Dusk til Dawn". The rule is "The park is closed excepting the times stated, dawn til dusk". The act of stating the exception to the rule IMPLIES the rule exists, and legally no further statement is needed. The sign "Children admitted free" is proof that the rule exists "Adults are NOT admitted free".

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Ever have to stop and think about the correct usage of words like:

choose and chose
    loose and lose

Why is for a while correct an for awhile incorrect?

well, the answers are here:

http://languageandgrammar.com/common-grammar-errors/

jtk
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Rimmer View Post
    Thanks for the links, guys!
    Now if I could just put the "better to remain silent...." adage into more practice.

I knew a guy that told me he had to get the muffler fixed on his car before the
    police stopped him and "pounded" his car.

Can't say I've ever seen that on "Cops"!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Edwards(2) View Post
    I knew a guy that told me he had to get the muffler fixed on his car before the
    police stopped him and "pounded" his car.

Can't say I've ever seen that on "Cops"!
    No, but I've seen them give a few perps the ol' wood shampoo before...
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

I can't get too worked up about "The exception that proves the rule," because the contemporary (if inaccurate) meaning is useful and makes some sense. Specifically, if a theoretical exception is extremely far-fetched, it tends to show that the rule is sound for all intensive purposes .

What really gets my goat is people who use foreign phrases inaccurately, thereby combining pretentiousness and ignorance. There is no such thing as "au jus sauce" nor can one serve "au jus" on the side. If you cannot use the expression correctly, "pan drippings" works just fine.

Similarly, it is a "shezz-long" not a "chase lounge". If you are uncomfortable with the pronunciation, "deck chair" practically trips off the toingue.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael O'Sullivan View Post
    What really gets my goat is people who use foreign phrases inaccurately, thereby combining pretentiousness and ignorance. There is no such thing as "au jus sauce" nor can one serve "au jus" on the side. If you cannot use the expression correctly, "pan drippings" works just fine.
    Heavens, Mr. O'Sullivan, if I walked in to the local Arby's and heard someone order pan drippings with the roast beef sandwich I would think they had just come in from the woods. One seems so much more refined when ordering "aw juice" (as it is commonly pronounced in these parts).

As for the chase lounge, we got them things strung out all the way round the cement pond.

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everybody knows what to do with the devil but them that has him. My Grandmother
    I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    I didn't change my mind, my mind changed me.
    Bella Terra