Thread: Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments.....

Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments.....

31 Jan 2011

Good Morning,
    Besides the day job taking a ton of hours out of my hide lately, I've been stressed with the health status of my dad and the emotional status of my mom. At this time, all I will say is that it doesn't look good at all for my dad. All of this is one reason why I'm not online very much any more. I guess it's a phase of life that I'm to work through. I have my faith to carry me through and that is what really helps.

The LOML Jr. is deciding on what she wants me to make for her and the LOML, as recently as last night, put her order in for some of the same wooden kitchen utensils that they found as they cruised through my book on Making Kitchen Utensils. I guess that's one way to get me in the shop again!

Got some cleanup in the shop done this past weekend, ear-marked some materials for making the necessary items for the LOML and LOML Jr. and since it was sunny and WARM (like 72º F in January) the LOML thought it a great idea to go for a motorcycle ride out in the country.....so we did. Really nice time together.

Back to the "grind stone" this week at the day job. So, what did YOU do this past weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Visited a new wood store on Saturday. Found me some hard maple for the train table I am working on. Found my way to the shop last night and cut all my drawer stock (rabbetts and other cuts). Glued up one drawer and cut the bottom panel for both drawers. With those last cuts I am ready for assembly hope to do this week assuming we don't lose power with the monster storm coming in.

This was my first time working with hard maple and found it to be quite enjoyable. I plan to use more down the road. I use a ton of oak and walnut.

Everyone have a great week be careful for the rest of you facing the winter storm.

More health care provision for my BIL, it's getting better, slowly...

Edited my shop tour video, need to tweak it some, really unhappy with it and SERIOUSLY considering reshooting the video...

Made a floor sweep for my dust collection system.

Moved all of the totes of Christmas decor back up into the space in the attic where it belongs...

Face jointed about 10 bd / ft of curly maple.
    Trying to follow the example of the master...

Took the roundover bit to a small derry of drawers (yes, I just created a brand new collective noun. If it takes hold in the lexicon, remember that you saw it here first!) for a friend, so now he can collect them and get them out of my shop. Used my handplanes to face joint one side of some poplar I'm using to make the first of many small tables from a recent issue of AWW, and then ran the pieces through the planer, roughed 'em out on my bandsaw (which involved tuning the bandsaw properly, something I should have done previously), and made the second pattern, plus some more rough pieces. If I can get some shop time this week, I'll have this one done by the weekend.

I also worked on a small shop project, a new screwdriver rack. I would have finished it, but I didn't feel like cutting the uprights with a handsaw, and I don't run loud power tools after 9:00, so the screwdriver rack will have to wait until tonite. It will be nice to get a little shop project done. Lots of little victories add up to a better shop.
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

I finished assembling my new Sawstop; however, I need to put on a different male plug on the cord as my 220 receptacle is a different configuration. Then, I assembled the movable stand for the Dewalt 735 thickness planer purchased last summer at HD when they closed them out; put the planer on top. Now, I'm rearranging my basement shop with the next step on plumbing my dust collector. Lots of opinions on this area.

Swapped out my incandescant lights for 4' flourescents, what a difference. Just the color alone was amazing.
    Started running the wire for my outlets and installing the boxes. Painted the HF dust collector
    to RIDGID orange so now I can start to assemble it. Then it's time to run the plumbing for it.

I actually was in the shop for awhile this weekend...cleaned it up after the recent trashing it succumbed to while I was doing my flooring project. I also fixed a loose wiring connection in my slider's control panel. Oh, and I deep cleaned the master bathroom. Otherwise, it was a normal weekend with my riding lesson, a BluRay movie and eating too much.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...