Thread: Handscrew Clamps -- how to help

Handscrew Clamps -- how to help

I have 3 handscrew clamps that I've never used. I also have a new Incra Ultra jig. They suggest using a handscrew clamp to hold the stock to its fixture. I can't get the jaws to lay flat on both sides without spending an awful lot of time so I use a variety of other clamps.

I would like to do this as advised. Can you give a certified bumbler some tips on using these clamps quickly and correctly?

Many thanks for any replies,
    Burt

I "think" I understand what you are asking. Try starting with the clamp completely closed then with one hand on each "handle" unscrew it with using your hands like feet on bicycle pedals, this keeps the jaws parallel. When it is open enough just slip it on and turn each screw handle approximately the same amount to tighten it down, they should stay pretty close to parallel this way.

+1 on Van's advise. I use handscrews whenever possible. I think I have 10 or 12 of them in my shop. Full contact of the entire face is not always necessary. Depending on the application, the heal or toe of the clamp can do an adequate job of holding things in position.

Burt,

Van's bicycle analogy is good, because once you start using hand screws it will become second nature before too long. They're great clamps, and I'd hate to have to do woodworking without them.

I thought handscrews had to be parallel in order to work. I will try again and practice to see what I can improve on. Does it matter that my clamps are HF?

Quote Originally Posted by Burt Alcantara View Post
    I thought handscrews had to be parallel in order to work. I will try again and practice to see what I can improve on. Does it matter that my clamps are HF?
    Some circumstances you need them pretty close to parallel to hold but some not so much. I haven't used the HF handscrews but they should be fine it is a pretty simple "machine". Going back to parallel that is actually one of the benefits of handscrews is that the jaws can be brought up to clamping pressure at different angles.

Blog Entries
    The greater surface area will provide a more distributed pressure but, some of the things handscrews do well do not involve flat or parallel surfaces. For you application it will help to remember that both screws turn the same direction to move the jaw in or out evenly. This is not always what you are after with a handscrew but, in your case I believe it is.

P.s. Doh! It took me so long to decide how to say that . . . Van beat me to it ;-))
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Get the jaws where you want them, and then do the last bit of tightening by turning the screw further from the work, which has more leverage. This moves the backs of the jaws outward and the fronts of the jaws inward a little, so you can plan for it and make the jaws any angle you like when they are tight.

Does it matter that my clamps are HF?
    It shouldn't matter. I've got a few from HF, some from Big Lots, some from Woodcraft and a couple huge Craftsmans. The brass hardware on the Woodcraft ones moves much more smoothly than the cheap ones. The wood is a lot better grade too. I've had a couple of the cheap ones warp and bow slightly. A little wax will help the movement of the HF ones.

I thought handscrews had to be parallel in order to work.
    The jaws have to be parallel if you want consistent pressure across something of a consistent thickness, such as clamping a lamination of two or more boards face glued together; in that example the deep reach of handscrews helps a lot.

Sometimes, though, you just want point pressure and having the jaws exactly parallel isn't critical.

You'll also find that you can open or close the clamps very quickly by holding both handles firmly and rotating the entire clamp, like using those "coffee-grinder" sail raising mechanisms on sailboats, or Van's bicycle pedals. Careful you don't bop yourself in the head as the jaws spin around, though.
    Last edited by Frank Drew; 01-31-2011 at 7:29 PM.