Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Plane or Belt Sander to trim drawer??

Plane or Belt Sander to trim drawer??

Without going into too much detail, I just completed my first "true" woodworking project this weekend: A closet organizer for my daughter. All in all I'm very pleased with the results but I ran into a problem with the drawers.

I built two drawers out of 1/2" (15/32") plywood using pocket holes. Again I am very pleased with the drawers themselves but I made the clearance for the drawer openings too tight. My question is should I use a plane (hand or power) or belt sander across the tops of the the drawer panels to trim it down? Any other suggestions?

Any suggestions/advice is as always greatly appreciated!! Thank you.

John

If it wasn't plywood I would say use a hand plane....my experience with plywood is limited. I wonder how a power plane would hand the edge of plywood?
    I guess if it were ME...and the project was finished....I would probably test out the results on the edge of some scrap plywood first and see which does
    the least amount of damage.

I hear ya. I'm afraid that either plane would tear up the edges. When I was putting it in on location with limited tools I tried taking it down with a ROS but that process was painfully slow, that's why I thought something like the small Porter Cable 371 would do the trick.

Depending on how much is "too big" you may have to rebuild the drawers. If you do, try dry fitting them before you glue them up. My experience is that all drawers need to be "adjusted" no matter how carefful your measurements. Consider it a learning experience and be glad it is only two drawers.

Can you rip them on the table saw?

Avoid the screws of course.

regards, Rod.

+1 on Rod's table saw idea. You just roll it over and do each of the four sides.

I've never taken a belt sander to anything I've built without disastrous consequences. And I've tried it many more times than it should have taken me to learn not to get the belt sander out! LOL

You can use a handplane on the plywood, which I would recommend, rather than a belt sander. It is possible to do fine, very controlled work with a belt sander, just like it's possible to carve with (and juggle) chainsaws, but the learning curver is pretty steep, and risks pretty high.

To use the handplane, make sure it's sharp, and use a marking knife/marking gauge to score the "crossgrain" fibers to prevent tearout. It's a good idea to put down some painters tape also to help prevent tearout. Take light cuts, and when you're done, you can just sand the edge and you'll be good to go. This is what I've done frequently with Baltic Birch, it may not work as well with a lower grade of plywood.
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

+2 on the rip with the table saw.

Blog Entries
    +3 on the tablesaw if the design is such that you can do this. If there is a problem with that and the amount to be removed is not too much; stick some sheet sandpaper to a flat surface like a piece of melamine or MDF lying on your bench. Set the box on it and sand away. I do this on a much smaller scale for small boxes to even up sides and corners.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

+4 on the table saw. I do this all the time.

+5 on the table saw.
    Jaromir

I always assume I need to plane a little, including plywood.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I won't be back there to work on if for a few weeks but I wanted to plan my attack now. The table saw suggestion would work on the design but the amount of material that needs to be removed is at most the thickness of the saw blade and I won't have access to a table saw there anyway.

John, thanks for the instructions on using a hand plane. I think that's the route I'm going to take. I'm ashamed to say that I don't own any planes yet but have wanted to get some. Could you please tell me which would be best for this application? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by John Fieldstadt View Post
    Thanks for all of the suggestions. I won't be back there to work on if for a few weeks but I wanted to plan my attack now. The table saw suggestion would work on the design but the amount of material that needs to be removed is at most the thickness of the saw blade and I won't have access to a table saw there anyway.

John, thanks for the instructions on using a hand plane. I think that's the route I'm going to take. I'm ashamed to say that I don't own any planes yet but have wanted to get some. Could you please tell me which would be best for this application? Thanks.
    Either a #4 Smoother or a block plane, preferably a Low Angle block plane. I've used my L-N LA Block plane on BB sides just this past weekend. I highly recommend it, or the Veritas LA block plane available from Lee Valley. You can also go for a nice vintage plane, or possibly one of the new Sweetheart's from Stanley or the Woodriver LA. While they are more expensive, the advantage of the L-N or Veritas is they'll give you an idea of what a great plane is like, and their quality control is topnotch.
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

Quote Originally Posted by John Fieldstadt View Post
    ...I built two drawers out of 1/2" (15/32") plywood using pocket holes.
    John
    I have to deduce you made the drawers too wide to fit the opening. IF height was the only problem, they could be run through the table saw to trim 1/16" off.

Pocket screw joints can be disassembled. Did you glue everything too? If not, take the drawers apart and cut fronts and backs a tad shorter. Only you know how much.
    Last edited by Chip Lindley; 02-01-2011 at 1:19 AM.
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!