Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problems with Woodpecker Super Fence

Problems with Woodpecker Super Fence

I'm having problems with my Woodpecker Super Fence in an offset application (cabinet door finger pull edge bit with no bearing).

I set up the fences for the offset, tighten everything down well and begin to run my cabinet door against the infeed fence toward the bit. The problem is that the infeed fence moves inward just as the stock begins it's pass over the bearingless bit (you can imagine the result). I tried tightening the 2 black plastic knobs with pliers and got the same result....a slipping fence. I noticed the black knobs used white nylon washers, so I tried removing them thinking they were the cause of the slippage. Now when I tighten the black knobs without the slippery nylon washers, the infeed fence pulls itself out of parallel just as the knob begins to get real tight.

It's probably difficult to envision the problem from my meager description; I was hoping someone with the the same fence would know what I'm describing and perhaps could suggest a workaround.

I have a call into Woodpecker; their tech guy was off today and is supposed to call back tomorrow. I believe this is a design problem and will requires a workaround of some sort. I'm going to check out some other brand fences to see if I can find a better design.
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

I have the Super Fence but haven't yet used it in offset mode. Since the outfeed fence is placed further from the base in offset mode, have you tried starting with both fences against the base and just moving the outfeed fence outward? That way the infeed fence won't be able to move. Of course that doesn't mean the outfeed fence won't move just as the infeed fence did.

Note that you might have to move the adjustable fence bracket to the outfeed side to get into this configuration. I think the fence is shipped with the fixed bracket on the outfeed side. I swapped the brackets and basically ignored their recommendation to use that spacer when setting up the default fence position.

Blog Entries
    From the pictures it looks like the brackets would provide inadequate support for much stress being placed against the fence. You shouldn't need a death-grip on your material. You could try a lighter touch with a piece of scrap. Another idea might be some parts out of the jig box to fiddle together an additional support between the bracket and the dust port(?). Maybe just a little more support would be all you need. Could be worth a try.

My solid and very simple Rockler fence uses separate faces that can be shimmed from behind. The overall fence though is one piece. If the fence is not suitable for your application and is in new condition, you could talk to Woodpecker about returning it for something different. If using your router table in this manner is only an occasional thing then a workaround probably makes sense.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 02-01-2011 at 9:19 AM. Reason: bad speller ;-)
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Gents, thanks for the responses. Yeah I figure I'm going to need a work-around solution. I guess what really gripes me is that I paid $200 for a "super" fence, supposedly designed to handle offset routing yet requires bandaiding to work in that capacity. The fence locking system needs to be redesigned with a more robust locking mechanism, something other than slippery plastic knobs. It'll be an interesting conversation tomorrow with Woodpeck tech support

Sliding the infeed fence back against the dust port block works with the edge trim bit I mentioned in the original post, however when I changed over to a large coving bit this afternoon the bit hit the rear of the fence deck forcing me to move the infeed fence forward away from the dust port block. A weak design in my view.
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

I find split fences for this kind of work pretty useless. (especially flimsy ones) One thinks they should work, since profiles come out the other side more narrow than they go in, and the split fence can be adjusted accordingly. It does not work well in reality.

An outboard fence provides solid support to the backside of the piece while the opposite edge is profiled by the cutter. A featherboard or other spring-loaded hold-down is used in place of the infeed fence half to hold the workpiece firmly against the outboard fence. The outfeed-half of your fence can remain, to guide the workpiece as it exits the cutter. Running workpieces against an outboard fence guarantees the profile will be consistent with no bobbles. Search this forum for outboard fence and see how it's done.

I use this configuration on the shaper, where, IMO, split fences are only useful if the machine is used as a "jointer". It will work the same for a router table.

Another solution is to use a sturdy solid fence like the JessEm Mast-R-Fence II, which adds thin shims to offset the outfeed side. Once the bit is lined up with the offset, this should work in theory. But, there is always the possibility of a bobble as the last part of the workpiece passes the cutter.
    Last edited by Chip Lindley; 02-01-2011 at 1:06 AM.
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

6. I have been looking at a number of router fences. Okay, really having a decision problem. The Woodpecker "Super Fence " was was leading choice with an "Incra" position-er.

Should I be looking at an all Incra system. Note 1. do not intend to use the router fence for dovetails, Note 2. Already have an woodpecker phenolic 27x43 table top.

Be nice to know if Woodpecker technical gets backs to you with an answer.

Would a power feeder reduce the problem?

This forum has so many interesting and helpful subjects.

Herb

Mr. Vroom;

I just spoke with Justin at Woodpeckers. He will contact you about your problem. Woodpeckers is extremely good about customer service which is just one of the many reasons we sell it.

If you can't get satisfaction from woodpeckers or from the store where you bought it we will be more than happy to stand behind it. This truly is a sincere offer in spite of the fact that the chances that Woodpeckers would refuse to stand behind a product are about one in 1 million.

Tom Walz

Carbide processors
    I'm a Creeker, yes I m.
    I fries my bacon in a wooden pan.

Justin at woodpeckers said he contacted you and explained the part where the directions were confusing.

Did his explanation solve your problem or do you need more help?

Tom Walz
    Carbide Processors
    www.carbideprocessors.com
    I'm a Creeker, yes I m.

Scott,

I have a Jointech SmartFence. I actually have the whole SawTrain set-up. This fence supports exactly what you want to do: incremental, repeatable offsets.

I have been very happy with the whole system. I should mention that the company is now owned by iTools corporation. I do not know how their customer support measures up.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl Babel View Post
    This fence supports exactly what you want to do: incremental, repeatable offsets.
    I believe Scott is after an offset between the fence halves like a jointer, not incremental steps of the whole fence.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Sorry, I guess I wasn't clear. From the Jointech website:
    Infeed and outfeed sections can each be independently offset outward in positive-locking incremental settings to give the qualities of a shaper and a jointer without the high cost.

Any update on this? I would like to know what Justin said along with Scott's observation and implementation of that advice.

13. I with Steve above in his comments-----

Can anybody think of a stronger router fence with equal or better features of the " Woodpecker Super Fence "?

Herb

PS---Tom Waltz ----Was impressed with your help, even if your not the original dealer-----Will remember you for future WoodPecker items. Very nice attitude.

was this matter resolved.was looking to buy this fence.

From Justin at Woodpeckers

Tom,

I'm having problems logging in.

The customer had the offsetting fence half on the in-feed side of the Superfence. It was supposed to be on the out-feed side of the Superfence (as the instructions suggest) where there is little to no pressure being applied to cause that slipping. He told me he was going to re-post on the forum with the results and call me back if he had any questions. Haven't heard or seen anything so I'm assuming it solved the problem or I would have heard back I'm sure.

Can you post this for me?

Justin
    Woodpeckers, Inc
    justink@woodpeck.com

Call Emily at 800 346-8274 and we'll get you one. 100% price match guarantee and 100% satisfaction guarantee.

Tom Walz
    Carbide Processors
    I'm a Creeker, yes I m.