Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Vacuum system finished.

Looks like a nice setup. I'm going to try building a system one of these days....

I'm not the only one that noticed the cement blocks. I thought that the mustard monster you have was plenty beefy enough and wouldn't need extra ballast there!
    Doug Swanson

Where are John Keeton and Steve Schlumpf anyway?

There is an article in the latest American Woodturner (AAW) about vacuum chucking systems. One suggestion from the article; have you tried Teflon tape on the spindle threads before attaching your vac chuck?
    Call me Jim, James seems so stuffy.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

mine pulls about 23 hg, and I've never had anything come off a chuck that was bigger than 2". I doubt you'll have any problems -

Thanks for all of the replies and suggestions. I think the only thing left to check would be the connections coming off of the pump as Duff suggested, or maybe a bad gauge. As long as it's partially disassembled again, I'll check those out. At any rate, it looks like it should end up being enough suction. I checked the Joe Woodworker site for veneering info, and he says that 21" is about ideal for that, so I should be covered. It would be nice though to have a little more leeway.

I sure am happy having the additional tool storage, so I'm not forever moving the extras off of the jointer bed. I even have a couple of extra slots (for the moment).

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

Update---I reassembled using thread goop instead of tape going into and out of the pump. Change = 0. But, I did eek an additional 1/2"+ by removing the silencer, which was apparently impeding air flow out of the system, and there was no increase in noise from the pump. I asked the guy at House Of Hose about the accuracy of the gauges, he said they are spec'd to + or - 3 inches of HG, so there is a reasonably good chance that mine is just reading lower than it really is. He said for $200 I could upgrade to a more accurate gauge. ): I think I'll pass, and leave it at that unless there is trouble down the line with holding power.

Dan

-Woody Allen-

This is something I have been wanting to add to my to do list and will as soon as I find a good used pump.

"The best things in life are not things."

Congrats Dan on a fine looking system. Mine pulls 22 to 23 but seldom do I let it get over 20 hg.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Mine shows around 23 - 24" when I use it. I recently got a vac pump and built the system based on a copy of someone else I saw with very simular system or almost identical which I really liked. I only need to build a cover over the pump to keep some of chips out of the air intake of vacuum pump motor. Again, this is not my design but I just liked it from another I saw somewhere on internet.

I really do like your rolling stand however and can hold tools which could sure come in handy. I like your design. I don't really do bowls however, but just in case, I'm ready.

Vacuum System 2.jpgVacuum System 4.jpgVacuum System 3.jpgVacuum System 1.jpg

Nice looking system. Sure comes in handy!

Thanks for the latest comments. I forgot to explain the concrete blocks --- some time back when we were discussing ballast and vibration problems, someone said that ballast was most effective when near the center of gravity of the lathe. Most folks add sandbags very near the floor, which while adding weight, lowers the center of gravity, making it easier for the bed to vibrate. See posts 15 and 16 of the following thread for details: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...ight=vibration .

I had already built a ballast box at the usual location, but adding the concrete blocks helped. Someday I'll have to try building something that will move the sandbags higher, near the bed. Maybe then the blocks won't be needed. The holes in the blocks make nice little storage holes for drive centers and chuck jaw adjusting thingies. ?

-Woody Allen-

Dan, if necessary, you can buy a kit (new vanes, gaskets, filters) to repair your 0523 (I think they are about $60). I repaired mine with good results (was pulling about 20 inches and now about 26 inches). You might google Septic Sewage Pumps-the kit number is k478 (the main use for these pumps are as an air compressor for aerobic septic systems). Good luck, Charlie

Nice set up Dan;
    I have a question for anyone having built a vac system for the Nova DVR XP. I have all the pieces and in testing I find that the NOVA bearing that is set into the handwheel leaks like a sive. I thought that the bearings used for vac systems were sealed and would not let air through???
    The pump is working great and when I cover the end of the tube I get 23 -24 inches of Mercury shown on the gauge. But, when I set the bearing with a sealing gasket in the handwheel I only get 4 inches at the spindle end....???
    Help please.
    Peter F.

Dan, good looking setup. I like what you've done here.
    Success is the sum of Failure and Learning

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Fabricius View Post
    Nice set up Dan;
    I have a question for anyone having built a vac system for the Nova DVR XP. I have all the pieces and in testing I find that the NOVA bearing that is set into the handwheel leaks like a sive. I thought that the bearings used for vac systems were sealed and would not let air through???
    The pump is working great and when I cover the end of the tube I get 23 -24 inches of Mercury shown on the gauge. But, when I set the bearing with a sealing gasket in the handwheel I only get 4 inches at the spindle end....???
    Help please.
    Peter F.
    This should solve your problem, it bypasses the lathe head stock. Make him and offer between 35 and 40 should do the trick. Even though I made a rotating union and chuck for my lathe, I find I use this one, since it's simple.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Vacuum-Drum-Chuc...item2eb2e0720d

Thanks for the info. The pump was never used, the vanes look to be in good shape, not sure about the gaskets. Unless I start having problems, I'm going to assume that the gauge is off.

-Woody Allen-