Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tools Never Die. Waddaya mean, Never?

For those coming up with examples I think you should listen to the segment again, one of us is missing the point. The shoe florouscope was an offshoot of X-ray technology which is alive and well last time I checked. John probably has the best idea with the oil can spout, no need to support a legacy market there, but in keeping with the flavor of the hypothesis as I understand it, one would have to show there are no implements that pierce, self seal and dispense a product from a sealed container. I didn't bother but I am sure many "tools" have kept the gene lineage of this tool alive.

The bottom line is how narrowly you construe the hypothesis, which I understood to be very broad. There are plenty of tools that are no longer made exactly like they were in the past, a floppy disc notcher is nothing but a specifically sized hole punch, hole punches are available at every Walmart in America, just not with the function of making a "flippy" disc.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    For those coming up with examples I think you should listen to the segment again, one of us is missing the point. The shoe florouscope was an offshoot of X-ray technology which is alive and well last time I checked. John probably has the best idea with the oil can spout, no need to support a legacy market there, but in keeping with the flavor of the hypothesis as I understand it, one would have to show there are no implements that pierce, self seal and dispense a product from a sealed container. I didn't bother but I am sure many "tools" have kept the gene lineage of this tool alive.
    The challenge is "Invention, tool or technology", not "Invention, tool AND technology", right from the article and the interview. He simply mad a silly statement.

For example, as far as I know you can no longer purchase an Ondes Martenot, nor is there any other instrument that resembles it except superficially.

His point is well taken, though, that much of what we've invented over the years probably exists in a similar form today. Of course, there's no telling how many things we've completely forgotten about, so we don't even know to mention it

Quote Originally Posted by John Coloccia View Post
    The challenge is "Invention, tool or technology", not "Invention, tool AND technology", right from the article and the interview. He simply mad a silly statement.

For example, as far as I know you can no longer purchase an Ondes Martenot, nor is there any other instrument that resembles it except superficially.

His point is well taken, though, that much of what we've invented over the years probably exists in a similar form today. Of course, there's no telling how many things we've completely forgotten about, so we don't even know to mention it

As I see it his true hypothesis is "I say there is no species of technology that have ever gone globally extinct on this planet." Also note that he is keen to point out he means globally, which includes all the third world countries so proving him incorrect would be a life long quest.

Ondes Martenot, doesn't Jean-Loup Dierstein still make 'em?

REVIVAL !!! From 2008, Jean-Loup Dierstein works on rebuilding the original ondes Martenot. It will be for sale. The production will probably begin in 2010 - write here to buy it or for informations about this new instrument.