Thread: Captured system progess

Captured system progess

Here is the progress I've made so far on the captured hollowing system I'm building. It uses a 1" bar attached to an old tablesaw fence to keep the bar from rotating. The capture part is made from a couple of wall shelf supports mounted on a satellite dish base.
    The capture support works real well, but I'm in the process of making a new boring bar shaped like a "D" of of 1" bar to replace the tablesaw fence. It works on small hollow forms but I think I need a wider "D" to keep it from rotating on a "big catch". I know several Creekers are in the process of thinking and/or building a system so I wanted to share my progress so far. I have searched all of the posts on the "Creek" and elsewhere and want to thank all of you who have gone before me with your systems.
    DSCI0003.jpg

Doug - your captured system looks like it should pretty good! Have fun using it!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

3. Quite a beefy system for sure! The mass should definitely soak up vibrations pretty well. I just wonder if it is a bit clumsy to use? That is not a put down of your work, but an "I wonder if that works well" kind of question. Your design has shown a way that an a person with average tools could easily put one together with the right pieces of material.

Thanks for sharing your work here, and I hope you will show some more of it in pics [like a "work in progress"] kind of thing. Very interesting, Doug!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Doug,
    I think what you have done there is pretty dadgum ingenious! Using the shelf supports, and fence and satellite dish base are all great ideas. I like that.

I'm 100% with Richard very ingenious,That's ingenuity with junk and I love it.
    Harry

I can see why you would need a "honkin' big" captured rig to hollow out something like that "honkin' big" chunk of wood you got mounted on that lathe!!

David DeCristoforo

That is one hefty looking hollowing rig. Looks like it will do the job pretty well.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.