Thread: Planer Question

Planer Question

This is a subject that has probably been hashed and rehashed, but, I am looking to buy a planer, 12"-13" in the $200-$400 price range. I value the posters on this site and would love to know what you would recommend and why. Thanks in advance for the advice and guidance in my search. Oh, I am a woodturner and will be planing anything from softwood to exotic hardwood.
    Tim
    "Anything is possible, only believe"

Get a 20 inch.
    Husband to 1, father to 9
    2 girls and 7 boys (in that order)
    Life Is Full Of Blessings
    The Lord is my Rock and my Refuge.

I have the Ridgid 13" and it has performed flawlessly for me. The dust collection actually works pretty good and the infed/outfeed tables are fairly large and can be set quite easlily.

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...cStoreNum=3209

Blog Entries
    I have the three knifed DeWalt DW734 that has a carriage lock and included tables. Properly adjusted it is snipe free. I have been unable to part with it even after getting a 15" with a spiral head. Great little machine.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Blog Entries
    I have an older Delta Lunch Box style planer. It does all the planing I need since I buy all my lumber dimensioned. If you plan to process rough lumber regularly I would not recommend a portable style planer. You will likely want a heavier built machine.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Hey Tim,

I've had two lunch box planers (before finally buying a 15" floor model), a Grizzly G0505 (lean and mean planer) and a Ryobi AP10. Both are inexpensive, no-frills planers, both worked pretty well, but if you offered them to me today, I'd take the Ryobi in a heartbeat. The quick-change knife system is great. The new versions can be found for <$250, are mostly well received, and are supposed to be as tough as the older models. Normally, I'm not much of a Ryobi fan and rave about my Grizzly stuff but in this case, my experience was just the opposite.

Hey Tim,
    Another +1 for the Ryobi AP10. I've had mine for several years and planed a lot of red and white oak for making furniture, so its had some use. Outside of a little snipe at the end of the boards, which is common with all planers, it works good. I did have a "On-Off" switch replaced under warranty early, but otherwise no problems. Its a 13" wide planner.

DeWalt, hands down, for the buck is a great portable. But I gave mine to a family member and now use a 15" Jet Floor Model. If you are going to plan on planing a lot of wood I would go for a floor model.
    Ron In Clanton, Alabama

Shoot amongst us boy, one of us has got to have some relief!

If you have the floor space, I'd buy a used stationary machine. I bought a Foley-Belsaw 12-1/2" planer/molder 2 years ago for $250. The 5HP Baldor motor itself is worth that much, and I got a bunch of molding knives as well. Anyway, $60 for new bushings and and couple of springs, another $50 for a new set of knives, and it planes and molds to beat the band.

Thanks for all the advice. I don't have the space in my garage for a floor model. Mostly, this machine will be used to "true up" already cut lumber for projects I'm going to be doing. I don't forsee taking larger, rough cut lumber, and planing it down. But as I said, thanks for the input! It is greatly appreciated.
    Tim
    "Anything is possible, only believe"