Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pegboard hook sources?

Pegboard hook sources?

Hi all, I have a neat hanging pegboard cabinet type thing, and it has been sitting in my shop with nothing on it for about a year. The reason for this is because I have never gotten around to buying any hooks for it, and I think the reason for that, is because I am not sure what to buy. I plan on hanging woodworking tools (saws, mallets, etc.) as well as some assorted non-woodworking tools (wrenches, screwdriver, etc.). So basically my question is what do you use, and could you point me toward a website that sells them. So far, I have been looking at these two:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000EDGMFK
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009WDUDS
    Trying desperately to get over my fear of spending money.

I can't offer up any good sites to buy from since I bought my various accessories at HD and Walmart, but I can give a little advice. If I were you, I'd not buy a big kit until after you purchase a couple of small packs fitting various hole diameters. In doing so, you can be sure to get a great fit for your pegboard. My first pegboard purchase was completely on impulse, and I bought a big accessory kit containing the smaller diameter, since the larger size didn't come with as much of a variety. I should have known that I was making a big mistake. Once I got home and constructed the wall panels, I found the tiny wire to be sorely lacking. They flopped around in the peg holes and pulled out completely whenever I removed my tools. The kit even came with some plastic retainer clips to keep the hooks in place. Too bad that the clips wouldn't even stay in place. Whenever I remove an item hanging from a hook secured with the retainer, there's a 50% chance that both will come off the board and fall to the floor. I eventually stumbled upon the larger-gauge hooks while shopping one day, so I bought them on the off chance that they would work better. They fit so snugly into the board that sometimes I'll damage the peg holes trying to remove them. The benefit of that is that they stay nice and secure without the need for retainer clips and I'm much less tempted to move things around too much if I know that I'm risking tearing the board up - again. The next time I purchase some, I'm seriously considering purchasing Talon pegboard hooks, since they've got a neat method of securing to the board. You can look them up on Rockler's site. Good luck!

Blog Entries
    The first listing seems to have an error. You can't use 1/4"pegs on a 1/8" peg board. The assortment is a good place to start. You will not find hooks specifically made for wood working tools and the assortment will give you some of each. The strip with ring loops works well for screw drivers, chisels or pliers. You might want to buy several assortments to get started and then buy more of specific individual kinds once you get most of the stuff hung up.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Blog Entries
    This is an area where Home Depot and Lowe's shine. They generally have a pretty broad spectrum of hooks and accessories. Since this is a hot item even with non-woodworkers, and they can get a pretty good turnover on their stock, they have some choices.

Blog Entries
    I'm with Jim. My Lowe's cut way back on their pegboard hooks (I capitalized on this during clearance) but, my Home Depot still has a good variety in singles, packs and kits. I don't have a lot I don't use but, I have a reasonable selection in a box just for such things. Since pegboard allows such quick versatility, I adjust them as the needs change.

I wouldn't want a whole wall of pegboard but I have several panels that can hang various places along the cleat wall. I capped the ends of my workbench with it and have a hide-a-way sliding panel in the leg support of my tablesaw. I also used it as the air vent panel in the door to my router table and have a piece on my cyclone blower housing that holds odds and ends. All have worked out very well.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Harbor freight sells them also.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    The strip with ring loops works well for screw drivers, chisels or pliers. You might want to buy several assortments to get started and then buy more of specific individual kinds once you get most of the stuff hung up.
    I've bought assortments and have yet to use a single one of the strips with ring loops. Guess their usefulness depends on your habits. I have a drawer in my rolling tool chest dedicated to screw drivers, another dedicated to pliers and pliers-style cutters, and I keep my chisels in their cases (i just don't trust myself not to knock them off the wall and onto the concrete).

I can't recall the company, but I got a great deal on some superior pegboard hooks that were mentioned here, you might search for the post.

I bought a bunch from Talon Hooks during a promotion about a year ago. Very pleased with them. http://www.talonhooks.com/

BobV
    Last edited by Bob Vallaster; 02-02-2011 at 7:51 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Rimmer View Post
    This is an area where Home Depot and Lowe's shine. They generally have a pretty broad spectrum of hooks and accessories. Since this is a hot item even with non-woodworkers, and they can get a pretty good turnover on their stock, they have some choices.
    Yeah, but at a price. They are expensive. The selection at Big Lots was smaller but the prices were too.

Awhile back, on a similar search, my father turned up Palay Display.

The above link goes directly to their pegboard hardware, but check out other categories as well. Considering that nearly anything you'd consider storing someone has previously considered displaying in a store so that you'd buy it, there are displays in there I'd never even imagined a need for...

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Vallaster View Post
    I bought a bunch from Talon Hooks during a promotion about a year ago. Very pleased with them. http://www.talonhooks.com/

BobV
    That's the company! Great hooks!

You will hate the standard hooks. they will keep falling out as you remove the tool. check LeeValley http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...=1,43326,43327
    Hello, My name is John and I am a toolaholic

While it takes some getting used to -- - the ghoulish feeling of picking over dead stores - - once the stock is sold and they are down to the fixtures and displays, you can buy the really good heavy duty hooks for a song.
    It's a sad fact these days that there's no shortage of carrion for us scavengers to feed on in this respect.

Matt, I just finished building a new tool cabinet in my shop and did want to go down the road of standard pegboard hooks. While I was building the cabinet I did a little research and found these: http://www.talonhooks.com/
    They are more expensive than standard hooks but they REALLY WORK! I'll never use standard hooks again, even with the plastic stays.

Check out your local swap meet. Ive been to several where at least a few tables have 50+ packs of the hooks for $2.

They fall out of the pegboard, but if you use the little black plastic clips, they work wonderfully