Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Figured Cherry Desk

Figured Cherry Desk

I just finished up a William and Mary desk I have been wanting to build for a long time now. Sometime back I saw a photo in a book of a ladies writing desk that I loved and this is my interpretation of it. The photo I had was horrible and had no information about the piece at all so I just took the concept and ran with it. I am actually putting together a set of scale drawings with full size patterns and a 250-300 page tutorial that I should have finished up in the near future. I am also working with Horizon Lumber who will make wood packs for the plans.

For this piece the primary wood is curly cherry with a curly cherry crotch for the lid and panel in the door. The secondary wood is poplar. The finish on it is a natural finish. I typically use shellac but due to the difficulty finishing the base I opted for an oil varnish home brew I like to use which gave me a little more time to work. I also glazed the piece to give it a little more of an aged look. I really enjoyed building this piece and actually plan to build another one in the near future possibly out of walnut. My intention was to keep this for myself but it just wasn’t meant to be. A few days before I finished it someone came to my shop to discuss another piece and bought it. Oh well, my next one will be nicer anyway

I also wanted to add kudos for Horizon Lumber who has some of nicest cherry around. The photos of this do not do the wood justice. I will be having professional photos of this piece done to try to really capture the true beauty of the wood.

[

Diamanwoodcrafters

That is one lovely piece! Well done.

Very Nice!
    Sawdust is some of the best learning material!

Dave, The wood is exceptionally attractive and the workmanship impeccable. Really impressed with the amount of detail and precision in the joinery. A piece to be proud of...great job, Bob.

Great looking desk. Sometimes figured cherry can be too much, but you chose properly with all the wood selection. Love the hidden drawer.

Dave,

Another amazingly gorgeous piece of furniture / art. You've really brought that cherry to life.

Thanks for sharing your work with us.

Mike

Hello Dave, I just want to say that desk is awesome!!!!!

I am humbled. Almost makes me want to go out and sell all my tools because I could never equal that. But, I think that I will keep them for a few more days at least.

Incredibly beautiful!

Dave, Exquisite piece. Let us know when you have completed the tutorial and plans.

Very, very nice.
    Ray
    Just trying to learn

Wow, that piece is stunning in every way. I love the wood and your finish. There's so much depth but little sheen. I aspire to this.

Thanks for posting.

Wow, That is truly stunning. I just love all the secret compartments, well not so secret anymore. How long did it take to build? Bob
    Life's too short to use old sandpaper.

Stunning as usual David, your work is very inspiring. Its definately some nice wood.

Please keep us posted when you have the tutorial finished.

One word. WOW!!!!

Always look forward to your posts Dave. And this is one is a beauty....
    Sweet work and thanks for the look see.