Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fuson-Cothren Collaboration

1. Fuson-Cothren Collaboration

Mike Fuson surprised me a week or so ago and sent me this glued-up piece of maple and walnut:

I started on it yesterday and was able to finish it up today. It ended up 8" x 8". Thanks to Mike for doing the hard part!

Beautiful hollow form. Looking at the second picture is sort of mesmerizing when I stare at it! Boy, the curves have to be perfectly fair or else the lines formed by the segments in the piece reveal inconsistencies. Graceful lines as well, the shoulders are not too high, nor does the piece feel squatty.

Did you do any additional work on the inside? I see that the segments are assembled as concentric rings rather than glued up angular rings. Where the maple and walnut pieces assembled breadboard style, then cut into rings with a router or bandsaw or something like that? What is the finish?
    Man advances just in proportion that he mingles thought with his labor. - Ingersoll

Congrats to both of you on creating such a beautiful hollow form! The shape looks perfect to my eyes! Seriously - absolutely love it!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

4. Thanks Jon. Yes, I turned/hollowed the inside. I used Antique oil for the finish. You'll have to wait on Mike Fuson to supply the details on the construction. All I did was make it round(er)...

Mark I take it that you received it completely glued up or were the individual rings glued up and you turned and glued as you went?

Very nice geometrical feeling to it. Like one other person said..it could be mesmerizing. Excellent duet!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Raised in the US (elementary in Lawrence, graduated in Boulder). Now in Israel.
    Mike - Perfect glue up! Segments look (industrially) straight. Is it just hand to eye coordination or do you have it centered on a pole for example.
    Mark - great follow up. Now, who gets to keep the result? Will it travel every 3 months?

Two masters at work!! Great combination of talent, and a beautiful result!

8. That one is an eye catcher for sure! Great glue up Mike! Mark, you nailed the form on this. A super piece that is suitable for display anywhere!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Very nice! Its hard to look at for a period of time haha

10. Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    Mark I take it that you received it completely glued up or were the individual rings glued up and you turned and glued as you went?
    It was all glued up, Ken. I just chucked it up and went at it. Like I said, Mike did the hard part.

A job well done by both of you.

Mark, I really like the shape of that thing.

Mike, did you turn out the middle of the larger pieces and use them for the smaller end pieces?

Excellent work from the two of you. Looks like a perfect glue-up of the segments, and the turning couldn't be any better!! Love the shape.

Very nice. The form is as close to perfect as it gets, and the glue up is precise.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

You guys did a great job on that! The form is excellent and the glue up is perfect!
    Doug Swanson

Where are John Keeton and Steve Schlumpf anyway?

That looks like fun. Great job.