Thread: Sycamore Tree Update(now what?)

Sycamore Tree Update(now what?)

I've got these beautiful 14" diameter logs. How long do I have to get them sealed? The problem is there is no available green wood sealer in my area and I have to order it from UV Coatings but that will take some time.
    Do I have a window here to work with or do I use some other product temporarily.
    Also, can I just seal the ends and let them dry without rough turning right now?

David in Texas

PM Bob Smalser. He says that there is some sort of roof coating that he gets from Home depot that works fine for him. I would try to slab them down asap.

Don,

Just about anything will work as a moisture sealer to close up those ends. If you have some old paint, it would do the job.

I don't know what the weather is like in the winter in Texas, but I would guess that it is not below the freezing mark and that it is pretty dry. So, I would get them sealed with whatever is at hand. What you want to do is to really slow down the loss of free water. Also, stand those sycamore logs on end. I don't know why, but for this species, anyone that I know who is knowledgeable about it gives me that piece of advice.

Good Luck,

Matt

spelling

If you've got a Home Depot near, go to the paint dept. and check out their "mistake" area. Any old paint will do really. I got 2 gallons of exterior latex for $10 bucks and that's what I coated the ends of my logs with before they were sawn into lumber. I actually put a couple of coats of paint on each end. I figured the more the better and the price was right. I had very minimal end checking using the paint.
    Last edited by Karl Laustrup; 01-15-2005 at 5:42 PM.
    Creeker Visits. They're the best.