Thread: Portable vacs - minimum power and 4" port issue

Portable vacs - minimum power and 4" port issue

hey guys,

I just got in my new Grizzly G0555x bandsaw and i love it !! It has a 4" dust port on it and im wondering which route to take. I will upgrade to a professional collection system later when im able to get the size shop i want but for now I only have the space and $$ right now for a shop vac size vacuum and was wondering--

1. Whats the minimum and/or the optimal HP and size i need?
    ---I dont cut a whole lot of stuff at once right now, or for a long period of time either.

2. How much flow do you think is decrease if i have the 4" port necked down to a 2 1/2 or 2 1/4 hose to go on a normal shop vac and how much performance is lost, if any, noticable?

3. once i am able to get something bigger, whats the best bang for the buck on something small but professional grade you can have multi ports on?

any suggestions greatly appreciated..thanks jonathan

That's a lot of info you seek, there, Mister -- the answer is the stuff books are written about

I have a 6.5HP Craftsman ShopVac, with a 20' Pos-i-Lok hose ... which ... is simply what I have. I use it for my G0555X, my CMS, and ... will use it for my RAS, when I finish fixing it up.

These are three tools for which dust collection is an inherent weakness.

Lots of online resources can help you improve the collection on the band saw -- usually by adding collection ports, underneath the table.

I have the Harbor Freight 2HP DC. I added the Wynn 35 cartridge filter, and a chip separator (a Woodcraft cyclone lid on a 30gal trash can). I replaced the unit's flex hose with stovepipe hose (decreased static pressure = increased airflow), and run a 20' length of "smooth-bore" DC hose to any machine -- one at a time.

I like my system a LOT. For ... something in the neighborhood of $400 bucks ... I feel certain that I'd have to spend over $1,000 to get something that actually works substantially better -- likely a 2-1/2 or 3HP cyclone DC, running on 220V.

But my DC expectations are pretty reasonable, where my band saw, CMS, and RAS are concerned. I tend to use my hanging air filtration unit pretty frequently, and expect to clean up, AFTER using those tools.

Good luck !!

Last edited by Neil Brooks; 02-03-2011 at 4:21 PM.

Dec/Jan Wood magazine has a coupon for the Harbor Freight 2hp DC for $139. Not much more money than a decent shop vac and you can grow with it and use it for some time to come by building it up like Neil and quite a few others have here. The difference in air moved is SUBSTANTIAL compared to even the best shop vacs.

Bandsaws need in the neighborhood of 350 CFM to capture all the dust they spit out. Most shopvacs move somewhere in between 100-200 CFM. Also, to really do a good job capturing the mess bandsaws make, you need collection right under the table as well as an attachment to the built-in dust port, meaning you'd be splitting the vac line and reducing the suction of each line.

I'll agree with Neil and Van - the HF DC is a good option if you can afford the space and noise. You might end up spending almost the same money on a decent shopvac and be disappointed it didn't do a good enough job...

I think you'd find the noise associated with a dust collector like the Harbor Freight way less irritating than most shop vacs. Fein, Festool and the like are pretty quiet but they're also quite a bit more money than the Harbor Freight D.C. I would get the Harbor Freight D.C. and build a Thien baffle for it. The top bag filter is rated at 5 microns, you can get cartridge filters that filter to .3 microns. If you believe Bill Pentz and others, <5 micron particles are a long term health hazard. Shop vacs work well for dust collection on hand held tools like routers, saws & sanders-Dust Collectors necked down don't. Dust Collectors work way better on stationary machines than Shop Vacs IMO. Tools with small dust ports work best with high static pressure/low CFM, tools with large dust ports work best with lower static pressure/high CFM.
    Last edited by Curt Harms; 02-04-2011 at 8:12 AM.

thanks guys for the tips !!

I started out using shop vacs, 6.5HP. Do yourself a favor and get the HFDC, the difference is unbelievable and the unit takes up about the same floor footprint as a shopvac. Some tools still need that shop vac but for a little extra cash ($139.00 w/coupon)the HFDC is the best way to go.