Thread: Twisted platen on new 108” edge sander

Twisted platen on new 108” edge sander

Yes it’s not a bad joke, the platen is twisted on my brand new King 108” oscilating edge sander. This is the same edge sander as Delta except that it has a 2 hp instead of a 3 hp. I think Grizzly and Powermatic have roughly the same China or Thiland model.
    Anyway, I finally got it in the shop, unpacked and set it up, and then I took out my square to set the table with the platen to 90 degrees. To the right end near the feed roller, I locked it in at 90, then I checked the left end and the angle was open. I used a digital protractor and the reading was 90.7 degrees. To be honest I hesitated on calling my salesrep. I was wondering if this is what I paid for, another inaccurate machine, but that thought lasted only a few seconds. I’ve had my share of inacurate cheap new tools, but I’m not taking it no more! Even though it’s not Laguna or another high end brand, It’s still 2k, and that’s very accurate for my wallet. So I sent out emails to my salesrep and to King customer support. This morning, 2 3 days after my purchase at 0700 the mobile unit machinist was in my shop! Now that is good customer service. With the platen tilted horizontally, we laid 2 straight edges across the platen at each end, same as when you would do when hand planning a plank, and it’s confirmed, the platen is twisted. The machinist is going to make his report to King and depending on the cost of his time and shipping of a new platen, King might decide to change my edge sander for a new one. The problem with these international machines is that I might be waiting a couple of months for either a new platen or a new machine. I’ll keep you posted.

So my questions to you fellow creekers is as follows:
    Is there anybody here who has or had the same problem with their edge sander?
    Is there anybody here who considers this situation “acceptable tolerance” for a 2k edge sander?
    Please feel free to speak your word, if this is going to be a learning curve for me, then let it rip!

Oops, it's actually 3 days after my purchase that the repairman came over and not 23 days as I wrote.

I have read about a couple of people here who had problems with one of the variants of that machine but I can't remember that particular issue coming up. BTW there are 7-8 different companies that import "visual copies" of that machine but PM isn't one of them, their OSC edge sander is a more industrial 9x138 model. That is not acceptable for a 2,000 sander nor a 900 sander. If an edge sander can't sand at 90* to the table it can't perform most of its intended function. The long supply lines can be an issue with Asian machines, hopefully you will get back up and running much faster. I must say that is excellent CS I tend to buy my machines from companies that send tech out in my area (as I understand it does not happen everywhere with some companies) nothing like someone fixing a machine instead of me having to diagnose it over the phone and getting a load of parts to fix my new machine!

I own the Grizzly version of the same machine. Mine too came with a twisted platen. Grizzly promptly shipped a replacement platen which was also twisted. Another call to Grizzly and they shipped yet another platen. This one was the straightest of the three but still off by just a hair, not enough to likely ever be an issue. FWIW my dad ordered the same machine at the same time and his too is twisted, though not ad bad as my original platen. The platen on these is not a machined part, I think that is a design flaw. The real solution may be to machine the platen flat after it's welded in the factory. I may someday take one of my 3 platens to a machine shop to do just that.

Sorry for the long post and it does not help you but I want to discuss the EBS-6 with you for a minute in case you get to do this over and IF Vega ships to Canada!

Vega Enterprises still makes one of the most awesome $2K range (just under for the oscilating 2hp single phase model) EBS-6 OES. It is 132"X6" belt model with a 8"X48" platten. http://www.vegawoodworking.com/EBS-6...t%20Sander.htm After seeing one in person you are floored at how heavy duty they are built. It does not tilt flat. Thats because it is made with a ground flat steel I beam that is made into the machines body and then graphite sheet coated for long life wear. Its incredible how well it is made. The Marathon motor at 2hp is about teh size of my 5hp baldor reliance motor on my shaper. Its huge. Belt changes are super easy too. in fact everything on it is toolless. Here are the accessories. They are each about $150 other than the oscilating option which is about $650. Call them for current prices. They run a 3-5 man shop these days so call and leave a message for Jon and he will get back to you. We got crazy snow the last few days so it may take him a minute to get back to you and they are rural located in Decatur IL. They have guys that read the forums so hopefully they will read this too!

Here are some pictures I took at Vega when I went on a tour there last Feb. http://s39.photobucket.com/albums/e1...cpZZ1QQtppZZ24
    After visiting there I knew i wanted the EBS-6 sander in my shop and no other! I bought one from Rich late last year. It is every bit as good as any laguna tool for sure and not the import line. May not be as nice as the 4-9K ones but it is massive for $2K for sure. You do not get an apreciation of how large these sanders are for sure. It dwarfs my buddies 108".

BTW - Powermatic did make a little 6X80 edge sander that was an import chiwan clone. They also import a huge expensive one that is super nice. Then again they also do the same for a huge euro panel saw. When vega paints something yellow they do it after THEY build it themselves. Their tools are made and shipped to you (or their dealers) from the same factory doors the raw materials came into them at. At one time they made a TON of machines. Chiwan imports killed 99% of their line.

Accessories for EBS-6 Above:
    #71080 End Table Assembly
    ~ Fully adjustable for height and tilt. Operates with 5" diameter idler pulley for sanding inside radius's.
    #71066 Second Side Table
    ~ Same as standard Front Table. Can be used with the Adjustable Curve Platten or the Rear Flat Platten.
    #71102 Adjustable Curve Platten
    ~ For sanding large radius inside curves. (see description above.)#71013 Oscillating Drive
    ~ 'Bolts on' to provide 1" belt excursion for longer belt life and more efficient stock removal. (see description).
    #71166 Rear Flat Platten 8" x 48"
    ~ 'Bolts on' to provide a second flat sanding station. Constructed of Hard Maple covered with graphite impregnated canvas.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

If you want a real sander but don't want to spend stupid industrial money the Vega is THE sander to get, period. I thought about mentioning it but didn't want to add insult to injury.

Thank you all of you for this information. Mike, I've heard about Vega on the net before and this machine does sounds very interesting. That 2k I paid was in Canadian dollars and shipping is sure to bring the price up. But I wil give them a call for prices.
    If I am going to get twisted replacement platens sent to me back and forth as happened to kim and his Dad, then I am going to consider the possibility returning the machine and demanding a refund. Van, your opinion is reasuring me that my first idea is probably the best to follow. It's going to be a bummer but I just can't imagine accepting this quality for that price. I really thought I did my homework on this purchase. Thank you all and I will keep you posted.

Sylvain - I should add that despite the twisted platen I do really like the sander. I have not yet installed the replacement platen, its on my rainy day project list. My original platen has maybe 1/8" twist across the 6" width end to end. Clearly not acceptable, but depending on what's being sanded it may not really matter. To date I've mostly used the sander for 3/4" door or frame edges. On 3/4" material the impact of the twist is only 1/64" over the length of the Platen. The better of the two replacements has less than 1/16" twist so the impact on 3/4" material will be less than 1/128" which is probably good enough. That said, this still bugs the perfectionist in me so like I said maybe someday I'll have one of the platens properly machined flat and true.

Good luck with your situation. The Vega sure looks like a nice machine if you decide to go that route.

Van I have to disagree with you. The Vega is a good machine but the Ekstrom Carlson 112A is the best. I got mine in plug and play condition for way less than a new Vega. IT's 2500# plus with a 8" belt and platen. The platen oscillates with the belt.

James, there are awesome deals to be had on industrial equipment for sure. I think we are saying new price (as he bought a new machine) the Vega is hard to beat. You are not touching that Ekstrom for anywhere NEAR $2K new. Heck the freight might cost 1/2 that LOL. Dealing with a 2400lb OES may not be ideal either. For reference the side table weighs about 800lbs correct?. Pretty sure thE platten on the 112a is 9".
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Is the EK even made anymore? But, if we are going there then forget the whimpy EK get a Central Machinery 604 it is still made today in the good old US of A, it ain't from Harbor Freight and is a copy of the Wysong & Miles machine.

As promised here is my update . The mobile tchnicien called me to pass on from King that they will send me another platen but that I was not to expect getting one that didn't have a twist. He said that they all have a twist. Wow isn't that wonderful for a 2k edge sander. I told him not to bother sending one. I return the edge sander to and requested a refund. Vega is interesting but I kind of have a consumers freeze due to this encounter. I'm going to research a little more and see what else is available.

Quote Originally Posted by Sylvain Deschamps View Post
    Vega is interesting but I kind of have a consumers freeze due to this encounter. I'm going to research a little more and see what else is available.
    I am researching edge sanders, have for a couple of months, and though I didn't mention it since I didn't want to sour you prematurely, my conclusion is all those clones of the King you got suffered an unusually high incidence of what you encountered. My conclusion so far is the roughly 1.5-2K oscillating edge sander market is covered by these clones with their problems and the Vega which seems to get nothing but rave reviews, I have no idea what shipping to Canada will do to the price. The other option seems to be to get one of the lighter duty sub 1K sanders like General Int, Jet and Grizzly (maybe Craftex also) sell, they aren't perfect but are significantly less money.

That's too bad that a 2k machine is guarnteed to have a twist. My $800 Jet even has a precision ground platen.