Thread: Cutting Extruded Acrylic-direction? Effects?

Cutting Extruded Acrylic-direction? Effects?

Some extruded acrylic has indicator arrows on the mask showing the direction of extrusion. Does anyone know how the produced product is effected if laser cut across the direction of extrusion in lieu of with the extrusion direction? I am wondering if it would cause more crazing when glued with solvent cement? What happens when it is bent with a heat bender? Could it cause twisting or warping? Your input is appreciated.
    Epilog Legend EXT36-40watt, Corel X4, Canon iPF8000 44" printer,Photoshop CS6, Ioline plotter, Hotronix Swinger Heat Press, Ricoh GX e3300 Sublimation

This seems to be a common question. I've worked in aerospace manufacturing for a few years and after all acrylic machining drilling forming etc. it must be annealed or it will craze for sure.

Below is an excerpt from a major aerospace mfgrs. process specs.

5.5.1.1 Anneal acrylic plastic parts which have been drilled, cut, formed, routed or machined,
    after all such operations have been completed.

5.5.1.2 Anneal acrylic plastic parts that are to be cemented after drilling, forming, routing or
    machining, both before and after cementing.
    Anneal all acrylic plastic parts at a temperature of
    ± 15°F for 24 to 48 hours, followed by air cooling to room temperature.

When we vacuum form, extrusion direction affects shrinkage with some materials. More in one axis than the other. I doubt it affects laser cutting at all.
    I design, engineer and program all sorts of things.

Oh, and I use Adobe Illustrator with an Epilog Mini.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughan Raymond View Post
    This seems to be a common question. I've worked in aerospace manufacturing for a few years and after all acrylic machining drilling forming etc. it must be annealed or it will craze for sure.

Below is an excerpt from a major aerospace mfgrs. process specs.

5.5.1.1 Anneal acrylic plastic parts which have been drilled, cut, formed, routed or machined,
    after all such operations have been completed.

5.5.1.2 Anneal acrylic plastic parts that are to be cemented after drilling, forming, routing or
    machining, both before and after cementing.
    Anneal all acrylic plastic parts at a temperature of
    ± 15°F for 24 to 48 hours, followed by air cooling to room temperature.
    Yep..told my wife I was taking over her oven for a couple of days to anneal acrylic before I glued it up....she said..OK..but no oven..no food. So, I reckon that's the name of that tune, no annealing taking place here. (actually I was aware of that but my question is "does it make any difference if you cut in the extrusion direction or across)
    Epilog Legend EXT36-40watt, Corel X4, Canon iPF8000 44" printer,Photoshop CS6, Ioline plotter, Hotronix Swinger Heat Press, Ricoh GX e3300 Sublimation

Blog Entries
    The cut itself won't make any appreciable difference, but the annealing process will (at least for extruded)... you will get the greatest change in dimension along the axis of extrusion. So, if you have a project with a somewhat critical dimension, you want that dimension perpendicular to the axis of extrusion.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5