Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do I need a Random Orbit Sander?

Do I need a Random Orbit Sander?

I've never had nor used a ROS. I've been happy with my 1/4 and 1/2 sheet sanders, and hand sanding, all these years. But I have about 20 frame and panel door frames to finish sand shortly (as soon as they're glued up) and wondered if a ROS offered any advantages. What say you?

Yes- you do.

A 5".

I would not attempt what you are doing without a ROS. They are the most useful handheld sander ever invented. I don't know wnayone that doesn't love their ROS unless it is a REALLY junky one.

Yes, I like My PC 5".

I had been using a PC 5", just upgraded to a Festool. Wow, what a difference. I would definitely recommend the Festool ROS.

Two would be better but one for sure.

Yes, sanding sucks less with it.
    Measure once, cut twice, burn the evidence.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    I would not attempt what you are doing without a ROS. They are the most useful handheld sander ever invented. I don't know wnayone that doesn't love their ROS unless it is a REALLY junky one.
    Thanks everyone so far for your replies. VH, how would you go about bringing the joints on my door frames perfectly flush? And please don't say hand plane.

You can smooth all 20 panels, and then, after assmbly, the rail/stile joints perfectly smooth with a ROS in no time flat! Once you use one, your 1/4- and 1/2-sheet sanders will gather lots of dust--NOT sawdust!
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

The ROS does a great job at cross-grain intersections like on frames.
    They CAN get aggressive, and there is a little technique with it.

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    Thanks everyone so far for your replies. VH, how would you go about bringing the joints on my door frames perfectly flush? And please don't say hand plane.
    Just like Chip and Prashun said. Assemble and flatten the joint, the random orbit action does well at the grain intersection. Easy peasy japaneesy.

Even the HF ones for $18 on sale dont suck - go ahead and doubt me until you try one
    Elvis isn't dead, he just went home Yes, I am a joker - Take it with a grain of salt

The real question is do you get an electric one or air powered (sorry cannot for the life of me spell pneumatic with an certainty)?

I have both but really prefer my air powered.

"Thanks everyone so far for your replies. VH, how would you go about bringing the joints on my door frames perfectly flush? And please don't say hand plane."

Hand Plane.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    I see now that I mis-read your post. So everyone agrees that a ROS is the way to go, and the PC seems like a good unit, on sale at Amazon for less than $100. Thanks everyone for your input. What a good resource you all are.