Thread: Spalted sycamore HF

Spalted sycamore HF

I got this piece of wood in a swap with a friend. First sycamore I've turned and I want more. The wood really went dark and I love the colors that popped once I started putting the finish on it.

The finial started out longer put I snapped the end off as I tried to do a final tweak to it. Oh well, I just went with it because it was glued in and I didn't want to start another lid for it. I'm satisfied with it for now, may revisit it again later.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Wow, love the colors. Nice work.

Nicely done Bill. The wood is beautiful.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Too bad about the finial. Love the combination of colors!

I'm liking the form, the finish, and it is sweet piece of sycamore - plenty of color. Also like the shape of the lid.

Would you have to start over with the lid or could you remove part or all of the existing finial and set in a new one. Just a thought. I just hate when I damage a nearly completed form.

That's a beautiful piece of sycamore. I like the shape, and I think the lid/finial look good as is.

Beautiful wood and a nice form. Too bad about the finial.

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

Bill, spalted sycamore can be a real treat! Sycamore, without spalting or some other figure, is rather plain, but does turn well.

This form is worth another run. Can't you rechuck the lid, turn off the finial and drill a slight hole where it was for a new finial? I think it would be worth the effort.

Thanks to all. I struggled with the shape of the lid the night before. I turned it through 3 different profiles before I settled on the final shape. The finial was a practice finial I had turned from a chestnut scrap. When I placed it on the lid I thought with a little reshaping it would work but it was too brittle. Too late, it was glued. So it ended up being more knob than finial.

Linda - yes, it would be quicker to start over than try to salvage the lid.

John - just saw your comment, that is a very good suggestion for a fix. Thanks!
    Last edited by Bill Hensley; 02-04-2011 at 8:59 AM. Reason: Reconsidered the problem after a simple solution was offered