Thread: Router Plate for a Freud FT3000VCE

Router Plate for a Freud FT3000VCE

Hi All,

I'm new here and new to woodworking. I have been turning pens for about a year and am now moving into building a small shop to enjoy in my spare time.

For my first project I am building the router table from Wood Magazine and all I have left to do is build the top. I was wondering if anyone could suggest a plate to use for my ft3000vce router. I looked at Rocklers and at 8 3/4 long it seemd a bit tight for this router, even if the router is installed at an angle.

Also, can anyone suggested some sort of a handle to raise and lower the router rather then the little button wrence they give you. It seems like this will be a real wrist killer if used a lot.

One other question. Does anyone know of a source where I can get smaller sheets of laminent? The Lowes and Home Depot by me only sell the full sheets and I just don't want to have to store the extra until I need it again.

Thanks,
    Jeff

I've got that very router and am using a woodpecker's unilift. It is perfect. A little pricey compared to just a plate. But the ease of adjustment is well worth it to me. Throw a router bit extension on for above the table bit changes with only an allen wrench and it gets even nicer.

As for laminate, I usually watch lowes or hd for one that has been damaged to buy dirt cheap. Either cut it there to get what you need or just throw it away when you get home. A local cabinet shop might have cut offs you can buy. Before I found a damaged piece for a few bucks at lowes I'd found a local shop giving away the left over laminate from the sink hole cut outs.

+1 on picking up damaged or scrap pieces of laminate from a supplier for very low cost. As Derek said, any home center or lumber yard is bound to have a few pcs that have sustained minor damage that they are happy to get a few dollars out of if you aren't picky on color. Also, my local Habitat for Humanity Restore outlet that I stopped into today scouting for potential bargains had 6-8 mostly full sheets for $5 a roll.

Incra makes a plate to fit the FT3000. You can find it at their site of try Woodcraft. They were selling this plate for $79 with 3 rings last month but it is no longer on their web site.

Optionally, you can buy a phenolic or aluminum plate and drill it out yourself. If you go this route use the Freud base plate as a guide and make sure you set the plate at an angle otherwise you will have problems getting the router in and out of the table (if for some reason you need to do this).

I use a 3/8" ratchet with an extender and a 3/8" hex bit socket. The extender lets me spin the wrench around without banging into a bit. Others suggest a speed wrench. I haven't tried this as I'm too cheap to spend the $20. I use a handled hex wrench for fine adjustments and throwing the spindle lock.

I have your exact router and I bought the Incra plate specifically drilled for the router. It has pre drilled holes for the mounting, above table height adjustment, and above table bit change. Everything is spot on and I have no complaints at all.

As far as raising and lowering the router easier/faster, I went to Home Depot and picked up a 10mm hex bit (had to buy a set of 7 for about $12 to get the 10mm) and just popped that in my drill. I can now raise and lower with no turning of the wrist at all and much much faster. Just be sure to be careful when you get to the top or bottom of the height adjustment. I just set my drill to the lowest torque setting. It's been a life saver.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Lyndon View Post
    I have your exact router and I bought the Incra plate specifically drilled for the router. It has pre drilled holes for the mounting, above table height adjustment, and above table bit change. Everything is spot on and I have no complaints at all.

As far as raising and lowering the router easier/faster, I went to Home Depot and picked up a 10mm hex bit (had to buy a set of 7 for about $12 to get the 10mm) and just popped that in my drill. I can now raise and lower with no turning of the wrist at all and much much faster. Just be sure to be careful when you get to the top or bottom of the height adjustment. I just set my drill to the lowest torque setting. It's been a life saver.
    Hi Berry,
    On the Incra plate, does the router mount at an angle rather then straign accross. I see in a earlier replay that because of size this is important. I did some measurements and the router is exactly as wide as the cabinet space so having it at an angle would be necessary.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Walters View Post
    Hi Berry,
    On the Incra plate, does the router mount at an angle rather then straign accross. I see in a earlier replay that because of size this is important. I did some measurements and the router is exactly as wide as the cabinet space so having it at an angle would be necessary.

Jeff
    Jeff, it mounts at a very slight angle. I would say maybe 5 or 10 degrees. I do need to angle the router to get it in or out of the plate opening but have not had any problems doing it that way.

Thank you to everyone who responded. I appricate your help. I will be ordering a plate and also put together some parts to create a wrench to raise and lower the router.

Jeff