Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What is the best type of sandpaper for turning

I tried these recently and I'm very satisified with the performance and the price: http://www.2sand.com/

Sanding Discs

Another vote for Vince's blue discs.
    Vince is really good about answering any questions you might have.
    Good Luck,
    Dave

sandpaper?????? who needs sandpaper?
    isnt everything that comes off the lathe supposed to be perfectly cut right off the gouge?
    it is in my dreams:) but then again the color of the sky in my world is a different color than most

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Van Atta View Post
    RhinoDry works best for me.
    1+ Indasa Rhynalox (or dry) 2" 25' roll PSA

For 2" disc- + Vince's Blue

Anything else Klingspor
    "I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Edgar Allan Poe

I think Bill Neddow has forgotten more about sanding than any of us will ever know. He has a great tutorial/tell-all-about-it on his website...google for it.
    Last edited by Jim Burr; 02-05-2011 at 5:20 PM.
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

6. I'm wondering about ABRANET anyone tried those ?
    or is it just hype ?
    http://www.turners-retreat.co.uk/cgi...ml%23a440#a440

descriptive text copied from that page --
    Abranet is a revolutionary new sanding material. The unique, patented sanding material contains thousands of small holes which effectively vacuum up dust and other particles without clogging the surface. The result is seen in a very uniform sanding pattern and a perfectly smooth surface. Airborne dust is minimised thereby making for a safer and healthier working environment.
    Available in 5 different grits with 5 sheets per pack or as an assortment containing one of each grit.
    Sheets measure 70mm x 120mm

----------------------------------------------------

end of quote

I have never used them or even seen them, but it sounds good

thanks for sharing your ideas and tip ..
    you all have a good one
    //Kenneth

Thank you everyone for giving me all this great information. I appreciate you all sharing your knowledge with me.

Jeff

I will second the votes for Klingspor Gold. After about 6 years turning a lot of bowls and other facegrain pieces, and after trying many kinds of abrasives, the gold is my favorite for both hand and power sanding. Premium Green from CSUSA is similar, but not as flexible. The Abranet is also very good but requires backing pads to save yor mandrels. Didn't like Vince's blue--delaminated for me and was not flexible enough. The Mirka Royal was pretty good and more durable than Vince's blue, but not as flexible as the Gold. Other brands of the gold color are different, such as Mirka Gold. You want the Klingspor with the Egyptian cloth backing. Try the different brands and use what suits you best.

Norton 3X. I tear sheets into 1/3 sheets and then tear those in half ending up with 1/6 sheet that I trifold. A piece of mousepad for backup is used sometimes, but this works for most sanding. I like the 2" wafer disks for drill sanding for the harder spots but continue to have problems with the velcro backing on paper and holder.

http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/st...lor_grit?Args=

I've been using this stuff. I wish they would get it wider rolls.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenneth Hakansson View Post
    I'm wondering about ABRANET anyone tried those ?
    or is it just hype ?
    //Kenneth
    I've recently discovered Abranet, from our last W/C tent event. I like it, although first off, I'd have to give Vince a + 29 or so. He has fabulous products and a great guy to deal with. No afflilation with him.

I also really like Indasa Rhynodry.

Back to Abranet, Thats really nice "sandpaper", actually a sanding screen. Doesn't build up dust and shakes off really easy. Lasts a loong time. I found a realatively cheap source on the bay. You can get an assortment of small sheets for 5 bucks. Which is really pricey. Main drawback. They have a sanding block, that you atach to your shopvac, which gives you dustless sanding on flatwork. The RO discs, I have not tried, since the reviews indicate that the Velcro is a little weak, and the discs fly off. They last a long time, so this becomes a drawback. The Velcro wears out before the screen does.

In case you haven't noticed, I'm a sanding pro, since I suck at turning.....

Jeff and Ken, I wondered when someone was going to mention Abranet. I turn green. Regular sandpaper loads up very quickly. I just got an assortment pack of Abranet to give it a try. Keep in mind that it is expensive, but it lasts a long time. One of the nice things about it is that you can use your air hose to completely clean out the mesh. I am going to buy packages of each grit. If you got the bucks you might want to give it a try.

Has anyone used Vince's ceramic discs? If so, how do they compare to the blue flex discs?

When I tried the Mirka, I could get the outside of one 14 inch bowl, and the disc was shot. I can get a 3 bowl cored set with one set of Vince's blue discs. I do keep the eraser stick handy, and LDD soak my green bowls which really helps any wood to sand out better. I did try the Norton Dry Ice discs, and get almost the same amount of use from them as from Vince's discs, but they cost 2 1/2 times as much. There is a bit of a problem with the 80 grit discs losing the abrasive as you sand with them, but you still end up with as much as you would have if you used the wave type of discs. On a good day, I start at 120 grit. Klingspoor gold is a fairly nice sand paper, but I find my self using the Norton 3x more. I haven't tried the 3m ceramic cubitron or what ever they are called. They are only available in PSA (sticky back) which makes as much sense to me as electric ceiling heat. Mike Mahoney swears by it. I know it comes in sheets, but seems like the price was several dollars per sheet. Mike says it outlasts anything else 5 or so to 1.

robo hippy

Been using Rhynogrip from Industrial Abrasives for several years now, great stuff. Buy the 1 yard x 1 yard sheets & cut it into whatever size you want. I make my own pads & this works great for me.
    http://www.industrialabrasives.com/1...713-p-338.html