Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: What is the best type of sandpaper for turning

What is the best type of sandpaper for turning

Hi All,

I have been turning pen for the last year and am now begining to try my hand at bowls. The only sandpaper I have used so far is the stuff on rolls for saning my pen blanks. There is nothing on the box to tell me what type it is. Now that I need to buy sheets, I want to make sure it is something that will stand up to turning.

Can anyone make a suggestion?

Thanks,
    Jeff Walters

I like the Klingspor gold. If you are near one of their Woodworking stores you can get it from their scrap bin very reasonably priced.

I've been using the Norton 3x paper for sheet type,also use Klingspor gold or Woodcraft gold sanding disc.
    Harry

When I bowl turn I like to use the round disks with a sanding pad. Since I ordered large batches last time, I also use that for my mugs. For bowls I'll use a mechanical sander, for mugs its hand sanding with a pad in support.

I've been using Vince's Wood N Wonders - Blue Flex Discs
    http://www.vinceswoodnwonders.com/Blue_Flex_Discs.htm
    They've been reasonably priced and have worked well. Pick up a sanding pad to add to your options for bowl turning.
    May all your turnings be smooth,

Brodie Brickey

Back in the old days (2009) when I was doing flatwork, I used sandpaper from onlineindustrial supply- great stuff, and in boxes of 50 sheets, extremely reasonable. They have a loyal following among flatwork creekers. I have grits up thru 2,000, most of which I originally used on a "scary sharp board" for my handtools. Now, I have repurposed them to round objects!!

I simply use the edge of my table saw (about the only thing it gets used for these days!) to tear sheets into about 2x2 squares, or thereabouts, and put them in a multi bin plastic container for that purpose. That is also how I store my sanding disks from Vince - keeps the dust out of them.

+1 for Vince's products.

RhinoDry works best for me.
    Within 13K miles of everybody.

Another vote for Vince's Blue Flex disks!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Another vote for Vince's!
    David

I use Vince's blue discs when power sanding. I also use Klingspor cloth backed paper for hand sanding... They sell bargain boxes of assorted endrolls pretty cheap, and it's good quality paper.

Norton 3X is about the best.

I use Norton 3X sheets cut in 1/4 sheets. For hand sanding about the best I have found. Vince's blue for power sanding.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Hi Jeff,
    There is a lot of mis information out there concerning abrasives so let me know if I can provide any information on what to look for in abrasives. Also sample are avalable to anyone as well.

Vince
    VincesWoodNWonders

Klingspor Gold---------The only brand I buy for wood, even for power sanding.
    ---I may be broke---but we have plenty of wood---

Klingspor's Woodworking shop they have huge boxes of remnants..turner's box and other set ups. It's cheap and works great. I've been using for 20 yrs..