Thread: Just came in the mail...

Just came in the mail...

I was looking for some type 11 planes, trying to build a good user set. I contacted Tablesaw Tom. He had a couple that I was interested in. He put them through the grinding process and cleaned and had them fettled for me. I am under the impression that a quick honing will improve these planes a great deal, but they are pretty awesome out of the box.

Anyway, here are the pictures of my new 6 and 5 1/2. The pictures don't do the sole's justice. The soles on these look brand new. Ended up paying about 25 to 33 percent of what a new LN or LV costs. I feel that this type of purchase really hits the "middle ground" for new handtool users like myself. Vintage stanley, ready to go with real flat soles and square sides. Included are pictures of the shavings taken right out of the box!

Barring any unfortunate falls, these two planes will be with me for a long time, then with my son...and his son...and his son...

My thanks to Tablesaw Tom.
    DSCF0227.jpgDSCF0230.jpgDSCF0225.jpgDSCF0231.jpg

Nice! I really like the feel and look of the low knobs. And the 11's have all of the improvements. They look good for their second hundred years.
    Deane
    Originality is the art of concealing your source.
    Franklin P. Jones
    Comments & criticism on postings welcomed.

Blog Entries
    Looks like a pair of nice planes.

The lever cap on one of them is newer than type 11. That should not have any effect on the usability.

I like type 11 or earlier planes with type 12 adjuster knobs. Some people get upset by Frankenplanes, not me.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Nice planes!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Looks like a pair of nice planes.

The lever cap on one of them is newer than type 11. That should not have any effect on the usability.

I like type 11 or earlier planes with type 12 adjuster knobs. Some people get upset by Frankenplanes, not me.

jtk
    Jim,

I know about the lever cap. I am debating if I shoud spend the 15 to 25 dollars to get a type appropriate cap. Does that make me obsessive compulsive? I thought trying to build a set of corrugated type 11's determined that!

Does Tablesaw Tom rework planes on a regular basis or did he just have a couple of extra he wanted to part with? The reason I ask is I have a #7 and 5 1/2 that needs to be trued up.

Ed

Ed, yes he does this on a regular basis. You can ship to him and he grinds sides and sole flat and square and he sometimes has some planes in stock he has reworked. He has set prices for varying size planes so check him out,
    Steve

I've bought a couple planes off Tom and am considering sending him a number 8 I just picked up. Its just his nick plus a .com if you want to check out his site. Click the Plane link on the lower right hand side of his homepage.