Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SSD hard drive

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    In this case I'm not too worried because we replicate the data to a server in the data center and the application can automatically fail over to the other database.

I had a customer doing this and they were wondering why their primary database was slow. As it turned out they were using synchronous replication which cause the primary database server to wait for the write/acknowledgment on the secondary site. The moral of the story is SSD will only get you so far.

I have a SSD as a primary and a 2TB as my main drive and my workstation boots up in 15 seconds. I try to keep the write activity on the 2TB drive and keep OS related on the SSD drive with the exception of the page file and Temp directories which are on the 2TB drive. The Windows experience rating has stayed consistent in the 8 months since I bulit the configuration.
    Rich

"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
    - General George Patton Jr

If the drive crashes, you just go back to your previous-day image back up. You do, do them don't you??? LOL

I use a Rosewill docking station that takes bare drives and image my entire drive daily. It takes about 15 minutes.
    Dave J
    Forums: Where all too often, logic is the first casualty.