Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Very expensive picture frame

Very expensive picture frame

Actually I made two frames, so maybe that halves the unit cost per frame.

Frame-15.jpg

I hesitated to post such a trivial project in light of the continual parade of awesome work that is posted here. However, I have to start somewhere so in the spirit of participation I decided to go ahead. This is the first item I have made since I undertook a major upgrade of my workshop over the past 2 years. We did a large remodel on our house in 2008, which created new storage space and freed up the basement for use as just a workshop. I have made a lot of things from wood over the previous 25 years with my Sears equipment, but I always felt I was limited by my skills or tools and ended up makings lots of compromises. Overall, I was pleased with how the frame turned out and it was a good exercise. However, my coping sled is only intended for use with the boards at 90 degrees to the router fence and struggled on the cuts with the boards at 45 degrees. I need to make a dedicated sled for 45's before trying that again.
    Frame-01.jpg
    Frame-02.jpg
    Frame-05.jpg
    Frame-08.jpg

Thumbs up Good Job

Very nice Design and craftsmanship on the Frame, Paul. I like it. When you decided to upgrade the "Tools", you really got with the Program, didn't you. Nicely done and good looking shop.
    "Some Mistakes provide Too many Learning Opportunities to Make only Once".

Great job on those mitered half-laps. On my one attempt they kicked my butt

I can't wait to see the tool upgrades when you decide to build a bedroom suite....
    Kidding aside, nice work on the frame Paul.

Paul, excellent job on that frame. My wife is a very accomplished artist and I have made a few of her frames. However, I try and avoid it. I am planning on making that frame sled recently shown on the "Fine Woodworking" site. I'm sure it would make it easier. However I really struggle with a design that would look good with her work. I really like your design and may give it a try. Thanks for posting.

Great looking frame Paul. If you enjoyed making it, then be proud to display it. I only recently joined SMC and am amazed at some of the work that is posted here. I refrain from posting my pieces because I look at others and just say wow. I see pictures of the equipment and shops and drool, knowing I will probably never be able to afford the kind of equipment that you guys have. That does not discourage me though. I go down to my 2 car garage shop (or 1 car I should say because the shop is shared with another hobby, cars) and make these "trivial" projects. Why, because I enjoy working with wood. I made two picture frames about 10 years ago that hang in my living room today. I look back and think of the enjoyment I got out of making them and what was going on in my life at that time rather than comparing it to what others make. Great looking shop and lets see that next project.

That is a nice frame, Paul, but this just screams "stealth GLOAT" to me on the new tools!!!!

As far as your commnent on the 45º sled, I see you have a Incra miter gauge on that sawstop... should be all you need! I used to make my frame 45º's on the miter saw, and they never came out right. Last time, I used my Incra 1000SE and they came out absolutely perfect!

Great looking frame. I made a large mirror frame with the exact same 3 groove design several years ago. Nice looking shop too.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Gaul View Post
    As far as your commnent on the 45º sled, I see you have a Incra miter gauge on that sawstop... should be all you need! I used to make my frame 45º's on the miter saw, and they never came out right. Last time, I used my Incra 1000SE and they came out absolutely perfect!
    Thanks for the comments Dave. I started out using the Incra sled on the router table as I have a track installed. For a single board it worked fine, but I was having chipping problems. When I added a backing board, I was never able to get enough clamping force on the two boards to stop them from squirming around. At that point I switched to the coping sled. I had to modify it slightly to do the 90 cuts as I was so far from the fence but it worked great. For 45 degree cuts there was not enough room on the sled for one of its clamps and the remaining one could not apply enough force. I struggled with it and got it completed, but I have a picture in mind of what I want to try next.

Paul, I would do the 45's on the table saw with the Incra. The Incra is designed to easily attach a wood sub fence, and that should eliminate your chipping problems. With a dado blade, you should be able to make easy work of the lapped miters. Just another thought/method.

Paul,

I saw on another forum someone used a Sommerfeld tools set that did tongue and groove joints for mitered raised panel doors. He has a youtube video called "MITERED RAISED PANEL DOORS MADE EASY" that's interesting. You might be able to use this system for your frames. Also MLCS woodworking has round biscuit that would work to keep the corners together like a spline. kreg pocket system, Festool Domino might work or a homemade mortising jig. Never tried frames, gonna have to give it a try. Did you cut your own mats for the picture frame?

Thanks to all for the kind comments and suggestions.

Peter: I needed a couple of frames to finish off the prints/mats that we bought to use as gifts and it occurred to me to try the mitered half-laps as an exercise. I wasn't really looking for the best approach, but rather to use what equipment I had. In the end I managed to use most of the major additions to the workshop in the process so it was a worthwhile learning exercise.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Cahill View Post
    Thanks to all for the kind comments and suggestions.

Peter: I needed a couple of frames to finish off the prints/mats that we bought to use as gifts and it occurred to me to try the mitered half-laps as an exercise. I wasn't really looking for the best approach, but rather to use what equipment I had. In the end I managed to use most of the major additions to the workshop in the process so it was a worthwhile learning exercise.
    Paul,

I know what you mean. The little Woodworking I do I'm always trying something different. A half lap is a very strong joint though.

Don't under estimate the difficulty in making a picture frame! I would almost undertake to make a chest-of-drawers than tackle a big frame........

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Cahill View Post
    I started out using the Incra sled on the router table as I have a track installed. For a single board it worked fine, but I was having chipping problems. When I added a backing board, I was never able to get enough clamping force on the two boards to stop them from squirming around.
    I realize this is an old thread. I've added an auxiliary board to the face of my Incra miter gauge, and I bond 120 grit sandpaper to its forward face using a spray adhesive. I don't have any problem with the wood moving.