Thread: outboard turning on PM 3520

outboard turning on PM 3520

Hi, I'm debating on getting the 18" extension for our PM 3520 particularly with the idea of outboard turning piece of Norfolk Pine, which is plentiful here and often comes in diameters greater than 20". However, it's clear that one would not have the advantage of the tailstock to steady the big piece for roughing. Should I be concerned about that. Or is that not so much of an issue if the piece is mounted securely on a faceplate?

I do not have the PM, but I do have an outboard bed for turning. I like the ability to stand facing the top or bottom of a piece, rather than having to lean over the ways on the inboard side. As far as not having the tailstock available, yes, it is much safer to turn with the tailstock, but I have successfully turned pieces outboard with no tailstock support. Just keep in mind that there is a higher risk for the piece to be ejected and turn accordingly.
    Man advances just in proportion that he mingles thought with his labor. - Ingersoll

I've not tried it, but I would use pretty long screws in norfolk pine if I did. Since it's fairly soft and generally turned end-grain, I'd want the extra purchase of longer screws. It sure is beautiful stuff when it's spalted and soaked in oil!

I've turned a number of bowls and platters over 20" on my 3520. A good 6" face plate is plenty strong to hold about anything you can hang on it. I've lost a few with broken tenon on a oneway chuck but they are heavy and it is more a thing of getting you legs and feet out of the way than the bowl being thrown very far. To finish the bottom use a jam chuck and package tape or duct tape as a safety belt system.

no problem with faceplate and long screws. Done it with pieces from 22 to 28".

The extension works well. I use it on bigger items fine, is kinda slow moving things around sometimes. Buy a good quality faceplate. I had an old 6" cast faceplate that wasn't up to snuff one time. Proved to be kinda exciting.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (112.0 KB, 97 views)
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (113.1 KB, 106 views)

Face Plate Bowl work

I have turned up to 28++ inch dia. with an 8 inch dia. face plate. For end grain I use longer screws and fill all of the holes (12). For side grain I use only 6 screws that are 1 1/4" long.
    No problems at all. My face plates are 1/2" thick steel. I don't have a tail stock.

Good Luck.

Dave