Thread: Bowl adze ???

Question Bowl adze ???

Bought this at an antique show yesterday. I don't collect this type of tool, but couldn't recall seeing one with 2 cutting edges before.
    Has anybody seen this type before? Was it used for a particular job?
    Doesn't appear to have ever been modified. Is marked in 3 places with makers mark "BV". Normal size range for bowl adzes: straight blade is 4 1/2" wide, and the handle is 7" long overall.

Mel
    Attached Images Attached Images

That's an awesome tool!
    I don't need one, but I sure want one!
    Paul

With a curve like that, it may have been used to make wooden gutters, but the width of the square edge would seem to disagree with me.

Could be gutter adze, flat side for working sides across the grain and curved for working center with the grain. But, it seems like the handle should be longer. Like that it would chop your wrist as you use it unless you held it from the side which would be very awkward to use.

Whoever used that with the small handle was a better man than I.

Its probably some kind of coopers tool. If its a weird looking tool, its usually a coopers.

George Wilson or Adam Cherubini can probably tell you.
    Last edited by john brenton; 02-06-2011 at 12:20 AM.

Never seen anything like that. Handle looks too short for safety to me. Looks like something a Ninji man might use.
    Last edited by Gary Hodgin; 02-06-2011 at 10:45 PM.

Based on the angle of the heads, I wonder if this is meant to be pulled, not swung. If that were the case, it might be more of a farm implement of some kind. I've looked through a couple of old tool catalogs, including one from 1905-1908 and can't find anything like it.