Thread: Senco SFN1 15 Gauge finish nailer question.

Senco SFN1 15 Gauge finish nailer question.

So in the pursuit of proper crown molding installation I opted to purchase a 15ga angled nailer off CL today.

It is a Senco SFN 1 and it came with a 4000 pack of nails missing a few - 40$ price tag.

Got it home to test it out as my compressor i brought had different fittings than the gun.

Whadda you know.. it isnt firing the nails all the way flush
    shooting into test Doug Fir 2x4s it is leaving about 1/8" above the wood.

Is this a common problem. Is it possbile my Craftsman air compressor is so far off that while its reading 120 on the gauge it isnt providing enough pressure to fire the nails?

OR am I looking at a rebuild kit?

photo (8).jpg

any help is greatly appreciated!
    Last edited by Greg Scull; 02-05-2011 at 10:11 PM.

I own a couple of SFN-1's, and at 90 psi, they will sink a 2" nail with no problem. Using a gauge that isn't part of your compressor, check air pressure at the end of the hose. Usually when a nail gun doesn't sink a nail all the way, it's the lack of air pressure. Remember that this gun DOESN'T require any oil. It has teflon rings, actually just one.

There may be a depth adjustment. That is usually adjusted with an allen wrench on the older designs and the "Pro" level Senco stuff. Senco has manuals, parts diagrams on their website. They are also one of the few companies that will promptly answer any call for technical assistance and the person answering the phone will be thoroughly familiar with the product. Their homeowner stuff (black) is so-so but their pro level equipment (gray) is excellent. The XP line is designed for continuous use on production lines.

My two Senco XP units will not fire at 75psi but sink the nail/staple to full depth at 85psi. If you are wondering if the power isn't there due to needing to be overhauled, try sinking a nail in hardwood. If it sinks the nail to the same depth in softwood and hardwood, the problem isn't lack of power.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg R Bradley View Post

My two Senco XP units will not fire at 75psi but sink the nail/staple to full depth at 85psi. If you are wondering if the power isn't there due to needing to be overhauled, try sinking a nail in hardwood. If it sinks the nail to the same depth in softwood and hardwood, the problem isn't lack of power.
    I dont think there is a depth adjustment on this one. I could be wrong. I hope I am...
    photo (9).jpg
    Above is a picture of two nails shooting into 3/4" cherry and 3/4" white wood under both blocks of cherry and white wood is 1.5" of poplar. They look to me to be pretty similar. Im assuming that this means im looking at a rebuild since they are shooting to the same depth?

well that answers that. I got ambitious and decided to take the gun apart and see if anything is wrong. Probally a bad bad idea in the long run. Too many times I have had success taking something apart and cleaning it just to put it back together and it work.

This however I dont think will end so nice :0
    photo (10).jpg

looks like this unit uses a fixed depth driver and that driver has seen its day. I think ill have to wait until next week to find out if a part can be had for it ECO122.

I guess Ill be doing the plantation shutters tomorrow and not the crown molding :-D

You may find the cost of the driver outweighs the worth of the gun? I had an SFN1 for many years. Finally I sold it off because I reached the point where I wasn't happy w/ just 2" nails anymore. Great gun, I just wanted more. As for a fixed depth driver -Yes it is - The safety foot acts like a depth gauge (kinda) - Hope it all works out for you
    Elvis isn't dead, he just went home Yes, I am a joker - Take it with a grain of salt

Do you have a real tool dealer in Sacramento? I'm sure I could walk into the local dealer today (Sunday) and walk out with that driver. Probably $20.

I have this nailer and it's advertised as "oil free"... For a while it wouldn't fully sink a nail so I added a few drops of oil and it started working just fine...

I add oil only when it stops sinking the nails... I've had it for like 20 years now and I've had to oil it maybe 3 times....

Good luck
    Joe

I got the replacement part yesterday and installed it. Seems like now it is countersinking tooooo far. Nailing into the MDF molding it countersunk all the way through some of the thin parts.

Since its a fixed depth driver i'm thinking of "tuning" it to remove 1/16" or so with the grinder to sink the nails less.

Greg,
    Lower the air pressure and that should stop the countersinking.
    David B

Quote Originally Posted by David G Baker View Post
    Greg,
    Lower the air pressure and that should stop the countersinking.
    Ill have to try it again, The gun didn't want to fire when I got the pressure too low. Maybe there is a nice sweet spot there.

I love those guns. I'll send you $40, and you send me the gun! I am down to three now........

I have one with no safety foot for T&G work, and it sets the nail the same as the ones with it.

Call Senco and I am fairly sure they will tell you NOT to try adjusting depth by air pressure. The later guns adjust with an allen wrench making very small adjustment to the tip that touches the work. That one does not look adjustable in the diagram. You could adjust the length of the drive OR put a soft tip on it, perhaps. If you grind your new driver just remember you can't make it longer if you grind too much.

The SFN1 oriiginally came with a rubber boot on the safety- when the boot is gone it will c-sink a bit deep. Leave the pressure alone, dont "tune" the tip. just learn how much pressure to apply to the gun to allow it to "jump" off the workpiece so it doesnt set them too deep. OR you could get the rubber tip for it
    Elvis isn't dead, he just went home Yes, I am a joker - Take it with a grain of salt