Thread: LV scraper plane (Stanley 112 knock-off)

LV scraper plane (Stanley 112 knock-off)

Guys,

In case you ever asked yourself.... I wonder if this plane really works the way they claim on highly figured wood. I wonder if I should lay down a few bucks for this good looking plane?!

The answer is YES. ....I'm very happy with this puppy!!!

(not affiliated w/Lee Valley)

just thought someone else might be on the fence about this scraper ...go ahead and get it. Nothing more than a scraper in the footprint of a #4 smoothing plane, but the LV has a scootch more "big hand" room than the equivalent Stanley Bailey model, for you big "three sandwich eating" types like me... You'll like it!!

Did the initial smoothing with a Stanley 5 1/2.

Working on a end table top. (fiddleback maple)

New to the Creek,

...Jim in Idaho

I agree with the usefulness of the tool. LV wasn't making the 112 when I bought mine from Lie-Nielsen.

The L-N has a thicker blade, .140" vs .055" std & .125" opt.

But the LV is $129 vs. $210 for the L-N. Whichever one you buy, it will be a very useful addition to your tool quiver.
    Michael in San Jose
    Non confundar in aeternam

Jim, Welcome to the Creek!! Nice place to hang out.

You are not the first to applaud the L-V scraper plane...it looks like a super tool to have around for final finishing of figured (and non-figured!) stock. BTW, that's gonna be a beautiful table!!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Was given one for Christmas, but we can't seem to get it set right. No matter what, it only wants to take shavings from the sides of the blades...nothing in the middle. The blade is square and an experienced woodworker friend didn't have much more luck with it than I did. Don't know what we are doing wrong. Would like to be able to use it because I think it would be less tiring (and easier on my hands) than a hand scraper.

Quote Originally Posted by Carole Valentine
    Was given one for Christmas, but we can't seem to get it set right. No matter what, it only wants to take shavings from the sides of the blades...nothing in the middle. The blade is square and an experienced woodworker friend didn't have much more luck with it than I did. Don't know what we are doing wrong. Would like to be able to use it because I think it would be less tiring (and easier on my hands) than a hand scraper.
    Carole,

I got this tip from a friend on another WW'ing forum and it works really well. try placing a business card under the front of your scraper plane and then adjust the blade down until it is 90 degrees. Tighten it up and you should be ready to take some shavings. It worked for me!

hth,
    John
    Woodworking:
    "It's not just a hobby, it's an adventure."

re: no luck

On the LV model there is an additional adjustment screw which presses low and on the "front" of the blade (knob side as opposed to the tote side) which is designed o slightly bow the scraper and avoid the serious edge drag. You could also try taking some of each edge profile off next time you sharpen/tune the scraper blade.

The other thing is to be sure to set the blade depth as per the LV instructions; which were to set the plane on a flat scrap peice of wood (the bench) and then slightly set the blade down (light tap) prior to tightening the set screw. I'm actually pretty new to this so perhaps one of the "tried and true" Neanderthal types could shine some more light for you.

Just saw John's tip. That sounds more repeatable in setting the depth. I'm going to try that as well.

...Jim in Idaho
    Last edited by Jim W. White; 01-16-2005 at 10:03 AM.

Jim

On my 112 I tried John's trick of laying the plane on a piece of paper, standard bond in my case. It was taking too deep of a scraping so I went with simply pushing down hard on the blade when it is on the work surface and tightenting it down at that point.

I think most users of this type plane do not put a burr on the blade, but if you were to start doing that, then adjusting the depth using paper would mean you are starting to take very thick shavings.
    Michael in San Jose
    Non confundar in aeternam

Setting blade depth

Thanks for the guidance Michael.

I too am having the best luck just by setting blade down into soft wood work surface prior to tightening. I guess part of the reason I'm so excited about the performance of this plane is that I didn't think it was going to work out at first. I was convinced I had made a poor choice when I first got it because it took some getting used too. Now that I've got the scraper depth figured out and played with the angle of the scraper blade a little ...it's really performing well.

Knocked three good size panels (glue-ups) with this scraper plane in conjuction with a 5 1/2 and a #8 yesterday afternoon and I must say it amounted to a fairly good "workout" by the time I was done for the afternoon. ...There's something extremely satisfying about the sweat equity though!!

Veritas® Scraping Plane
    Item 05P2901
    1 unit backordered., Expected to ship on 01/19/2005

I've been waiting over a month....
    Biut it looks like its shaping up to be a good week