Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Birdhouse on a stick

Birdhouse on a stick

One of the few things I can actually sell is birdhouse Christmas ornaments. For whatever reason, people seem to like birdhouses and I can sell most everyone I make. So I decided to try a birdhouse idea that you could put out and sell anytime of the year. This is my first crack at a birdhouse on a stick. This one is Osage Orange, about 13" tall, 2.5" diameter. It's turned in 2 pieces with the stick and body a single piece, the lid separate. I also threw in a couple of interlocked captive rings for the heck of it. Our club challenge this month is captive rings so I thought I'd practice on a few.
    Whatchathink?
    OO birdhouse on a stick.jpg

Curt, I think you stayed up too late to post this and I didn't see it 'till this morning!! Really a neat idea - and, I am duly impressed that you did the body and pedestal in one turning. Did you drill out the house all the way down, or just past the hole? I think the roof, with spire/finial is perfect for this form.

Has to be the neatest birdhouse I have seen!! I have a piece of Buckthorn that Baxter sent me months ago that I have been meaning to turn - neat color. This may be a perfect idea for it. Thanks!!

Another clever project! I like it and suspect it will appeal to buyers.

The captive rings, not so much...

Marvelous! Thanks for posting. I know, what is it about birdhouses?! But I, too, love them in all shapes and sizes.

What a great idea! I make a bunch of these and am always looking for different looks to them. I think I'm going to try that one of these times!

Very cool!
    Doug Swanson

Where are John Keeton and Steve Schlumpf anyway?

The proportions and workmanship on this are very very good. I am sure it will sell quickly.

Pretty clever. I am sure you will sell all you make rather quickly.

Now that is a unique idea. Those might sell well.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

That's a cool idea. I'll bet you sell it quickly! Although I'm not a fan of captured rings, they do add a certain 'how'd ya do that' factor to the piece that I think will draw folks in. Nicely done.

Curt - really cool idea! Any time you deal with ornaments, you have to figure out a way to hang them! This solves that issue and allows the ornament to be placed anywhere! Seriously - great idea!

Very nice birdhouse! I like that you stuck with your style of roof - adds a lot of character to the piece! Bet this style out-sells all the others!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Thanks everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    did the body and pedestal in one turning. Did you drill out the house all the way down, or just past the hole?
    John, this is just basically a goblet with a lid. I bored the inside out with a forstner bit to the bottom of the house. Being a straight sided house, I just drilled it and sanded the inside. On curvy ones I usually drill and then use a little gouge work to follow the outside form. It also works out better to lay out the basic shape you want and drill the hole for the door and perch before turning. Then once the inside of the house is turned I just pack it tight with a paper towel and bring the tailstock up into the wad of towel for support. I don't have a steady, but if you had one small enough it would be a good idea to use one while turning the 'stick'.

I don't think I'll add the captive rings to the next ones I make, but it was good practice and good wood to make them from.

That is totally cool! I've been wanting to do a little birdhouse for my desk, and you have solved the sm footprint dillema, AND makes for a cleaner finial without the hook. Very nicely done - Thanks for posting.
    mj

Real nice idea that turned out very well Curt. Thanks for passing it on to us.

Blog Entries
    A really neat idea! Good execution of the birdhouse.
    Have a Nice Day!

15. Great birdhouse Curt. I don't think the captive rings add anything to the birdhouse, but they are neat to do for the turner.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!