Thread: Humidor Question

Humidor Question

I have a question for you humidor guys.......

I'm building one of my own (pics will follow) and about to start resawing some spanish cedar for the liner. I've heard that 1/4 is the minimum thickness to be used....but was using some 1/4" scrap to size it up and it seems pretty thick.

Do you recommend 1/4", or can I go thinner?

How about trays....what thickness do you typically us on those beautiful boxes i've seen so many pics of?

Thanks in advance for the help.

on a side note, after doing the math on how much cedar i'm going to be using....wow! It really eats it up!

You can go as thin as you feel comfortable making them. Andrew Crawford shows dividers in trays as thin as 5/32" in his book "Book Of Boxes". You can see his boxes at http://www.fine-boxes.com/
    "Only those who have the patience to do simple things perfectly will acquire the skill to do difficult things easily.”
    Friedrich von Schiller (1759-1805)

"Quality means doing it right when no one is looking."
    Henry Ford

Thanks for the info....but my question is really concerning the operation of the box as a humidor. Those 5/32 dividers are jewelry boxes and the like.

I guess I should have asked if anyone knows if going thinner than 1/4" affect the humidor's performance?

Hopefully Bill Wyko will reply to this tread, he's the resident humidor expert. My educated guess would be that thickness would not affect the performance.
    "Only those who have the patience to do simple things perfectly will acquire the skill to do difficult things easily.”
    Friedrich von Schiller (1759-1805)

"Quality means doing it right when no one is looking."
    Henry Ford