Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GLOAT- now I need info

Blog Entries

GLOAT- now I need info

Yesterday on CL I picked up this woodmaster 408, $50. The gentleman I got it from had been using it for planing, I would like to use it as a molder and I need some info about using it as a molder. I googled and googled and I did not find much, I need SMCers input.
    It has a 1hp motor but I will switching it out with a 2hp 3 phase motor. It runs well but needs a litttle tuning, it vibrates a bit and the chain that raises and lowers the table could be tightened. It has 2 molding heads that hold 1" molding knives, they are identical to the knives that come with the old craftsman molding cutters, fortunately I have a set. I would like to run wider knives, 2"-3". I am wondering what knives I can use, jet, grizzly, etc? Can I use the molding heads side by side to hold a large knife or should use the planers cutter head, or do I need a retro fit head like grizzly holding cutter?
    Also I am wondering what this machine is compatible with. It looks like there are craftsman, belsaw, RBIs, and woodmasters that are the same or similiar.
    I would like to use make door and window casing, base cap, chair rail, and maybe crown molding, but primarily in pine. Any info would be greatly appreciated.IMG_20110206_103633.jpgIMG_20110206_103933.jpgIMG_20110206_104349.jpg

Nice score !!! Three bucks will get you ... what looks like ... the original owner's manual, from eBay, item # 280623485838
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 02-06-2011 at 1:04 PM. Reason: • Removed direct eBay link. Linking to eBay is not allowed per the TOS

go to www.moldingknives.com and download the profile catalog and on page 76 it shows how to set up to run TG. I have 612 and called Woodmaster for a few parts they don't support the older models, but will answer the basic question you might have. No owners manual ! If there is one on Flea bay don't mess around get it. I'm looking for the site that I found that has a few of the bigger replacement accs. like the Aux shaft and knives. BTW the molder blades that you have will work fine in the molding head. There is also a much larger accs. that will fit complete profiles knives.
    Last edited by David Nelson1; 02-06-2011 at 6:41 PM.

I'll check my work computer for the website.

Paul,

I would also check with Woodmaster http://woodmastertools.com/. Your planer looks very similar to my Woodmaster 712. Blades and knives are probably similar. I can use Molding blades from My brother in laws Woodmaster he bought back in the 1980s. They are good machines and don't change design much. If it works well no need to change. Hope this helps. Their tol free number is 800-821-6651

Joe

Blog Entries
    Good news, I do have a manual, literature, and the receipt from the original owner. I looked over everything and I need a 402-C custom knife molding headDSC03311.jpgDSC03312.jpg
    Here are pics of the manual. Now I just have to figure out where to get one. David if you could find that site that would be awesome I would give you a forum high five. Joe I am calling woodmaster right now.

I'll be back to work tomorrow and I'll look

Did you say FIFTY?

If so, you suck.

I found an RBI 408 for $250 years ago and was barely able to unload it for less than $100. so YOU SUCK! Big Time!

The moulding shaft is 1" dia. with a keyway slot the length of it. The moulding knife holders you need, slide over and afix to that shaft with a key and setscrew. The 8" planer head has single gibs the length of the knife slot. Single knives cannot be held in this planer head as they are in the 12" BelSaw, RBI, Woodmaster heads, because those have sectional gibs. Use only the moulding shaft and head for holding any molding knives you acquire! Best of luck finding parts!

Those Sears moulding cutters are not made for your machine. The slot cut into one side means less surface to clamp against in the cutterhead. Use them at your own risk!
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

i use the newer bigger version of that planer for moldings.

you can use the planer head, you just need different sized weights to fit in the planer head properly. if you call woodmaster they should be able to help you with those.

i never used the molding head much on mine, i find the straight knife planer head much more stable.

you'll need to cut yourself some simple guides to act like a fence that you can bolt through the table. a board walking along the rollers outside of the knife could be...well...exciting .

get yourself some ear plugs if you don't use them currently. cutting molding on an open machine like this is LOUD (really loud).
    Last edited by Neal Clayton; 02-08-2011 at 10:42 AM.

Blog Entries
    More good news. I found a seller on ebay that has the molding head and I am purchasing it. It takes 1/4" knives with a weighted gibb and woodmaster, hawk, or WDR can get me those. The manual for this machine is really good it talks about the molding head setup and fences. If any wants a copy let me know.
    One of my rollers is a little chewed up otherwise in good condition, anyone know where to get a replacement? Or any tricks to rejuvanate the rubber? I read on another forum about people wrapping them in duct tape. I do not think I am there yet.
    Anyone see any problems with running a link belt from the motor? I need to cut down the vibration.

Have you tried getting parts from Woodmaster----- I have a 718 and they have always been real good to me.
    ---I may be broke---but we have plenty of wood---

I saw that auction as well. What I didn't see is any mention of a 612 or 408 parts on my work computer. The good news is it was moldingknives.com that had the parts before hand. I tried to call a few times today and never got through. I'll try again tomorrow.
    Last edited by David Nelson1; 02-08-2011 at 4:31 PM.

A Fenner Power Twist belt certainly won't hurt anything. But, these little machines vibrate because they are made mostly of stamped metal and are on the light side. Make a 3/4" plywood base a bit larger than the 408's footprint and bolt that base to the bottom of the legs. Casters can be added for mobility. Load that shelf with as much weight as you can. A big slab of 1"-thick steel would help!
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Steiner View Post
    More good news. I found a seller on ebay that has the molding head and I am purchasing it. It takes 1/4" knives with a weighted gibb and woodmaster, hawk, or WDR can get me those. The manual for this machine is really good it talks about the molding head setup and fences. If any wants a copy let me know.
    One of my rollers is a little chewed up otherwise in good condition, anyone know where to get a replacement? Or any tricks to rejuvanate the rubber? I read on another forum about people wrapping them in duct tape. I do not think I am there yet.
    Anyone see any problems with running a link belt from the motor? I need to cut down the vibration.

Did you get the aux. shaft with it???